Advantages of having an AS in engineering to go with your Physics BS?

In summary: Your name]In summary, the forum user is considering obtaining an associate degree in engineering before pursuing a bachelor's degree in physics and chemistry. They are wondering if this will make them more employable and increase their earning power. It is advised to also consider their interests and long-term career goals before making a decision. Having a diverse set of skills and knowledge can be advantageous in the job market and lead to potential opportunities for career growth.
JFrankParnell
Hi, all,

Though I am planning to major in Physics with a minor in chemistry, I'm thinking of getting my associates degree in a program they have at my local community college called "engineering special studies (pre-medical engineering)." This is because the course list will give me everything I need for the physics/chem thing and it also looks really interesting--you get a wide sampling of different science classes, everything from physics to chemistry to biology to comp sci. The only problem is that it looks like I have to take several extra courses that I wouldn't have to take if I just did the physics/chem thing and I'm concerned about using up too much of my financial aid since I've had to burn through a lot of it already just catching up on the stuff I missed out on by dropping out of high school. Running out of financial aid before I finish my bachelor's degree, then, is a major concern.

To that end, I've decided that, financially speaking, this engineering thing is going to need to earn its keep in order for me to decide to go that route instead of just going the physics/chemistry route.

So my questions are these: Will having my AS in an engineering program make it more likely for me to get engineering work with my Physics BS? Will it make me more employable or give me more earning power in other ways? If so, how?

TIA for your responses.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for your post. It's great to see that you are considering different options for your education and career path. I can offer some insights into your questions regarding the potential benefits of obtaining an associate degree in engineering before pursuing a bachelor's degree in physics and chemistry.

Firstly, having a background in both engineering and physics/chemistry can be highly advantageous in the job market. Many industries, such as renewable energy, biotechnology, and materials science, require individuals with a strong understanding of both engineering principles and scientific principles. By obtaining an associate degree in engineering, you will have a well-rounded education that can make you more competitive for jobs in these fields.

Furthermore, having a diverse set of skills and knowledge can make you a valuable asset to potential employers. Employers often look for candidates who can bring a multidisciplinary approach to problem-solving and have a broad understanding of various scientific concepts. By completing the engineering special studies program, you will have a foundation in various science subjects, which can make you more attractive to employers.

In terms of earning power, it is difficult to predict how an associate degree in engineering will directly impact your salary. However, having a combination of engineering and physics/chemistry knowledge can make you eligible for a wider range of job opportunities, which can potentially lead to higher-paying positions. Additionally, having a diverse education can also open up opportunities for advancement and career growth in the long run.

Ultimately, the decision to pursue an associate degree in engineering should not solely be based on financial considerations. It is important to also consider your interests and long-term career goals. If the engineering special studies program aligns with your interests and can provide you with a well-rounded education, it may be worth the extra courses and potential financial investment. I recommend speaking with an advisor at your community college to discuss your concerns and explore your options.

Best of luck in your academic and career pursuits.

Related to Advantages of having an AS in engineering to go with your Physics BS?

1. What are the career opportunities for someone with an AS in engineering and a Physics BS?

The combination of an AS in engineering and a Physics BS can open up a wide range of career opportunities. Graduates can find employment in fields such as aerospace, energy, manufacturing, research and development, and more. The technical skills and analytical thinking developed through these degrees make individuals well-suited for roles in engineering, research, and other STEM-related fields.

2. How does having an AS in engineering complement a Physics BS degree?

An AS in engineering provides students with a strong foundation in engineering principles, hands-on experience with technical tools and software, and exposure to various engineering disciplines. This complements a Physics BS degree by providing a practical application of the theoretical concepts learned in physics courses. The combination of both degrees can enhance problem-solving skills and make individuals more versatile and marketable in the job market.

3. Can an AS in engineering help with career advancement for someone with a Physics BS?

Yes, having an AS in engineering can certainly help with career advancement for individuals with a Physics BS. The additional skills and knowledge gained through an engineering degree can make individuals more competitive for higher-level positions in their field. Additionally, the combination of both degrees can make individuals eligible for a wider range of job opportunities within the STEM industry.

4. Are there any specific industries that value having both an AS in engineering and a Physics BS?

Many industries value individuals with both an AS in engineering and a Physics BS, including aerospace, energy, manufacturing, and research and development. These industries often require individuals with a strong understanding of engineering principles and the ability to apply them to complex problems, making the combination of both degrees highly desirable.

5. Can having an AS in engineering and a Physics BS lead to higher salaries?

In general, having a combination of an AS in engineering and a Physics BS can lead to higher salaries. These degrees provide individuals with a unique skill set that is highly valued in industries such as engineering, research, and technology. Additionally, individuals with both degrees may have more job opportunities and the potential for career advancement, which can also lead to higher salaries.