Advice for 2x4 weight distribution....

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of hanging a 250-pound swing from a 10-foot span of ceiling joists that are just 2x4s. The expert advises against this, as it is not safe and the joists are not designed for such a load. It is suggested to build a free-standing swingset instead, using materials and specifications similar to those of swingsets sold for backyard playsets.
Chentelle
I have a 2x4 on it's edge that spans 10 feet in my ceiling. I want to hang a swing that can hold 250 pounds near the center of this span. What would I need to do in this situation in order to get minimal or no deflection?

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Chentelle said:
I have a 2x4 on it's side that spans 10 feet in my ceiling. I want to hang a swing that can hold 250 pounds near the center of this span. What would I need to do in this situation in order to get minimal or no deflection?
To get no deflection, you would have to use unobtanium instead of wood. To get a small amount of deflection, you'll have to do something fairly drastic since a 10' span of normal 2/4" is going to deflect a fair amount w/ 250 lbs in the middle, ESPECIALLY if it is on its side instead of on edge the way it should be for such a load bearing job.

I apologize, that was my error. It is on it's edge.

Thread closed for Moderation...

Chentelle said:
I have a 2x4 on it's edge that spans 10 feet in my ceiling.
You have 10' long ceiling joists that are just 2x4s? That seems pretty weak, and is certainly not sized for any extra loading. See this for an idea of construction standards in the US:

http://www2.iccsafe.org/states/newjersey/nj_residential/PDFs/NJ_Res_Chapter8.pdf
Chentelle said:
I want to hang a swing that can hold 250 pounds near the center of this span. What would I need to do in this situation in order to get minimal or no deflection?
Ceiling joists are sized for holding up the ceiling material and light hanging fixtures, not for 250 pound dynamic loads. What you are asking about is dangerous, and you should not consider doing it. Build a free-standing swingset instead, following the lead of the swingsets you can purchase and build yourself for backyard playsets. Be sure to check what the maximum load is specified for those swingsets, given their wood beam sizes and materials. Thread is closed.

https://www.wayfair.com/Backyard-Di...187400005706&gclid=CMOu_Y6oi9ICFdRyfgodAp4HQw

Providence+Swing+Set.jpg

Related to Advice for 2x4 weight distribution....

1. What is the ideal weight distribution for a 2x4?

The ideal weight distribution for a 2x4 will depend on the specific application and use of the 2x4. Generally, it is recommended to distribute the weight evenly across the 2x4 to ensure stability and prevent warping or bending.

2. How much weight can a 2x4 support?

The weight capacity of a 2x4 will vary depending on the type of wood, its quality, and the length of the board. On average, a 2x4 can support up to 500 pounds of evenly distributed weight.

3. How can I determine the weight distribution of my 2x4?

To determine the weight distribution of your 2x4, you can use a scale to measure the weight of the object or load that will be placed on the 2x4. Then, divide the weight by the length of the 2x4 to calculate the weight per foot. This weight should be evenly distributed across the 2x4 for optimal stability.

4. What happens if I don't distribute the weight evenly on a 2x4?

If the weight is not evenly distributed on a 2x4, it can lead to instability and potential damage to the 2x4. This can cause warping, bending, or even breakage of the board, which can compromise the structural integrity of the overall project.

5. Are there any tips for achieving proper weight distribution on a 2x4?

To achieve proper weight distribution on a 2x4, it is important to evenly distribute the weight across the length of the 2x4. You can also use additional supports, such as brackets or braces, if necessary, to help distribute the weight and prevent any potential stress points on the 2x4.