Advice for a wannabe mathematician

In summary, it sounds like you have a lot of potential and are definitely on the right track. Just keep at it and don't worry about what others think of you.
RBTiger
For the past 2 years, I've wanted to become a mathematician, but I've become overawed by the sheer number of prodigies that have made it large in the subject...Gauss, Riemann, Ramunajan etc. I'm no prodigy and I'm in my last year of school(my age is 16)...I've always had been proficient at maths, deriving quite a few geometrical formulae without help, proving L'Hopital's Rule through Lagrange's mean value theorem(I later learned the intermediate step is Cauchy's mean value theorem) etc. However my grades before my 10th year weren't reflective of that(I used to average A- but now it's improved to A+)...Lately I've been studying a lot of college mathematics like Spivak, Courant, Artin, Herstein, Strang, Hardy& Wright etc. But I'm not sure whether I'll ever make it big...Many of the leading mathematicians of the day seem to be IMO medallists, but I learned about the IMO a few months back! Although I've signed up for the IMO qualification exam, I'm worried that if I don't do well, it may mean I'm a bad mathematician...Any advice??

Physics news on Phys.org
RBTiger said:
Many of the leading mathematicians of the day seem to be IMO medallists, but I learned about the IMO a few months back! Although I've signed up for the IMO qualification exam, I'm worried that if I don't do well, it may mean I'm a bad mathematician...Any advice??

Your success on the qualification exam is no way to measure your potential as a mathematician. I suggest you work hard. There is no one-way ticket to become a top mathematician.

And quite frankly, you don't need to be a world-class mathematician to actually do mathematics. You can always aim for the best, but try to follow your passion regardless of your "status" as a future mathematician.

Good luck.

RBTiger said:
For the past 2 years, I've wanted to become a mathematician, but I've become overawed by the sheer number of prodigies that have made it large in the subject...Gauss, Riemann, Ramunajan etc. I'm no prodigy and I'm in my last year of school(my age is 16)...I've always had been proficient at maths, deriving quite a few geometrical formulae without help, proving L'Hopital's Rule through Lagrange's mean value theorem(I later learned the intermediate step is Cauchy's mean value theorem) etc. However my grades before my 10th year weren't reflective of that(I used to average A- but now it's improved to A+)...Lately I've been studying a lot of college mathematics like Spivak, Courant, Artin, Herstein, Strang, Hardy& Wright etc. But I'm not sure whether I'll ever make it big...Many of the leading mathematicians of the day seem to be IMO medallists, but I learned about the IMO a few months back! Although I've signed up for the IMO qualification exam, I'm worried that if I don't do well, it may mean I'm a bad mathematician...Any advice??

My advice to you is to not think about becoming one of the greats.

There is nothing wrong with admiration. I think admiration of others is something that can be used in a good way. Lots of people enter fields and become successful through the successes of people before them which give the younger generation something to strive for and excel far beyond what has been accomplished.

But if you are solely focused on becoming great, that's probably not a good idea. You might never become "great" in anyone elses mind, and if that is what you are expecting, you'll probably end up in a real mess.

It sounds like you like math anyways, which is great. It means that you'll probably spend a lot of time reading, pondering, and doing math simply because you are naturally inclined to do so.

I sincerely wish you the best, and I know that even if you don't get there sooner rather than later, you will achieve something and don't underestimate any achievement you make no matter how insignificant it may seem.

The greats are only remembered when they're dead. So you won't even know if your work will be great or not. For all you know, your work won't have application at all in your era but 300 years down the road, you might be considered a "great" because your work is useful then.

Do you see where I'm getting at? Let's put it this way. It's more or less the journey rather than the end of the road that counts. If you're having fun, then whatever.. If not, well.. you shouldn't be in that field anyway.

First of all, I want to commend you for your passion and dedication towards mathematics. It is clear that you have a strong interest and aptitude for the subject, and that is a great foundation for pursuing a career in mathematics.

It is important to remember that not all successful mathematicians were prodigies or excelled at a young age. Many of them, like you, improved and honed their skills over time. So do not let the achievements of others discourage you from pursuing your own path in mathematics.

My advice would be to continue studying and learning as much as you can, but also to not put too much pressure on yourself to "make it big." Success in mathematics, like in any field, takes time and hard work. Focus on improving your skills and understanding of the subject, rather than comparing yourself to others.

Also, do not be discouraged by a single exam or competition. It is important to remember that these are just one measure of your abilities and do not define your potential as a mathematician. Keep practicing and learning, and your hard work will pay off in the long run.

Lastly, I would encourage you to seek out mentors and opportunities to engage with other mathematicians and learn from them. This can help you gain a better understanding of the field and its various branches, and also provide guidance and support as you continue on your journey to becoming a mathematician.

Remember, mathematics is a vast and diverse field, and there is no one path to success. Keep working hard, stay curious, and follow your passion, and you will find your own unique way to contribute to the world of mathematics. Best of luck to you!

Related to Advice for a wannabe mathematician

What skills are necessary to become a mathematician?

To become a mathematician, it is important to have a strong foundation in mathematics, including advanced algebra, geometry, and calculus. It is also helpful to have strong problem-solving and critical thinking skills, as well as a passion for solving complex problems.

What kind of education is needed to become a mathematician?

Most mathematicians have at least a bachelor's degree in mathematics, but many go on to obtain a master's or doctoral degree. It is also beneficial to take courses in related fields such as computer science, physics, or engineering.

What career opportunities are available for mathematicians?

Mathematicians can work in a variety of industries, such as academia, government agencies, finance, and technology companies. They can also pursue careers in data analysis, operations research, and actuarial science.

What steps can I take to improve my chances of becoming a mathematician?

Aside from obtaining a strong education in mathematics, it is important to participate in research projects or internships, attend conferences and workshops, and build a network of contacts in the field. It is also helpful to read journals and publications to stay updated on current research and developments in mathematics.

Is there a specific area of mathematics that I should focus on to become a mathematician?

While having a strong foundation in all areas of mathematics is important, it is beneficial to specialize in a specific area such as algebra, geometry, or statistics. This will allow you to develop a deeper understanding and expertise in a particular field.