Advice for Mech. Eng. Grad Looking to be Landscape or Ag. Engineer

In summary, if you are currently studying mechanical engineering but are interested in pursuing a career as a landscape architect or agricultural engineer, there are a few steps you can take. First, consider taking courses related to these fields to gain a better understanding and practical skills. Additionally, to become a landscape architect, you will need to have a strong artistic sense and be proficient in drawing. Ultimately, working in an outdoor, green setting will be important for both of these career paths.
tj00343
studying mech engineering but want to be landscape architect or agriculture engineer

Next year I will graduate with a bs. in mechanical engineering, what advice can you give me if i want to become a landscape architect or an agricultural engineer( courses i can take ,or ways i can squeeze into these fields etc. ), note that I know a good deal about both fields due to my interest in them .Detailed answers are appreciated (but others are welcome ), i want to work in an outdoor(green) setting and not an industrial one

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

No idea about the others but if you want to be a landscape architect you need to be good at drawing and have general "artistic sense" like being sensitive to beauty.

FAQ: Advice for Mech. Eng. Grad Looking to be Landscape or Ag. Engineer

1. How can I transition from mechanical engineering to landscape or agricultural engineering?

To transition from mechanical engineering to landscape or agricultural engineering, you can start by taking relevant courses in these fields or pursuing a graduate degree in landscape or agricultural engineering. You can also gain practical experience through internships or research projects in these areas.

2. What skills do I need to have to be successful as a landscape or agricultural engineer?

As a landscape or agricultural engineer, you will need to have a strong foundation in engineering principles, as well as knowledge in areas such as soil science, plant biology, and irrigation systems. Additionally, communication, problem-solving, and project management skills are essential for success in this field.

3. Can I work in both landscape and agricultural engineering fields?

Yes, it is possible to work in both landscape and agricultural engineering fields. Many professionals in this field have expertise in both areas and use their skills to tackle different projects and challenges.

4. What industries can I work in as a landscape or agricultural engineer?

As a landscape or agricultural engineer, you can work in various industries, including agriculture, environmental consulting, land development, and government agencies. You may also have the opportunity to work in research and development or for a private landscape or agricultural engineering firm.

5. What are some current trends in landscape and agricultural engineering?

Some current trends in landscape and agricultural engineering include sustainable design and practices, precision agriculture, and the use of technology in irrigation and soil management. Additionally, there is a growing focus on incorporating green infrastructure and promoting sustainable food production in urban areas.