Advice for Someone Considering Double Majoring

• Programs
  • Thread starter LithaNova
  • Start date
In summary, the main advantage to double majoring is that you are qualified to attend graduate school in either subject. The main disadvantage is that you have less freedom for concentration.
LithaNova
Hello everyone, this is the first post I've made on here spite being a member for a while now. I'm currently attending a local college, and while my major is Computer Science I've obtained a major interest in Physics(prior to last spring's semester). As of this semester I'm taking General Physics I(Calculus-based), and I'm enjoying it a lot. For awhile now I've been wondering if I should double major in Physics and Computer Science. The work it's going to take before I transfer to a four-year(+) university is virtually the same. Only about a 3-4 course difference.
My professor's look at me dumb-founded when I tell them I'm taking the Calculus-based physics course(While being a Computer Science Major) out of sheer interest.

Physics could, and will benefit me while programming my video games. I'm already starting to implement some of the basic motion mechanics into my programs. It's very rewarding seeing and feeling my two interest being able to come together like this. The only issue that I can foresee is the extra workload I'll be taking on once I get into the four-year plus university. As of this moment I only plan on getting my BA/BS when it comes to Computer Science, but if I were to continue this path and take Physics as well, I'd definitely want to go the full distance in obtaining my PhD in Physics. I realize I'm talking as if it's a walk in the park, but I know it's not.

I'm curious to find out if there is any advice that anyone could give me as I start this journey into the deep dark abyss that they call "Double Majoring". Well aware that there are going to be replies telling me it's a bad a idea to double major, but computer-related classes have all been second nature to me. While I may pick up computer-related classes with absolute ease, science classes are a different thing. I have to study and work hard for those A's, but it still feels rewarding. Thanks for any input you may or may not give.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think the main advantage to double majoring is that you're essentially qualified to attend graduate school in either subject. Lots of people like keeping multiple doors open.

The main disadvantage that I see is that you have less freedom for concentration. So a single major will have the opportunity to take some introductory courses to various sub-fields, or simply to take some electives based purely on interest, whereas the double major will have to fill those slots with core courses in the other major.

If you think a BS in physics will help you program video games, I think you are overestimating how much of a degree focuses on mechanics and underestimating how much time is spent on other things.

Vanadium 50 said:
If you think a BS in physics will help you program video games, I think you are overestimating how much of a degree focuses on mechanics and underestimating how much time is spent on other things.

Sorry, I guess I shouldn't have phrased it like that the way. I was merely trying to express my excitement for two of my interests being able to come together.

If you are worried about the workload, which is a lot, why not just take the subjects you like from physics and not double major? When you major in physics, you will be forced to take classes that you may not be interested in like Labs, E&M, QM, statistical mechanics, etc.

I am double majoring in EE and CS and it is quite a lot of work as I have to take more classes than single majors but I did it because I am interested in both, they are very closely related fields, and I want to keep my options open. In 4 years from now, no one knows what the job market will look like.

Last edited:

Related to Advice for Someone Considering Double Majoring

What are the benefits of double majoring?

Double majoring allows you to gain knowledge and skills in two different fields, which can make you a more well-rounded and versatile candidate for jobs or graduate programs. It also gives you the opportunity to explore your interests and potentially combine them in unique ways.

What should I consider before deciding to double major?

Before deciding to double major, it's important to consider the workload and time commitment required for completing two majors. You should also think about how the two majors will complement each other and if there are any overlapping courses. It's also important to consult with your academic advisor to ensure you can graduate on time and meet all the requirements.

How can I manage my time effectively while double majoring?

Time management is crucial when double majoring. It's important to prioritize your coursework and create a schedule that allows you to dedicate enough time to each major. You may also need to make sacrifices, such as limiting your extracurricular activities or taking summer classes, to stay on track.

Will double majoring increase my job prospects?

Having a double major can make you stand out to employers as it shows that you have a diverse skill set and can handle a heavy workload. However, it's important to also gain relevant experience and skills through internships, research opportunities, and extracurricular activities to make yourself a competitive candidate.

Can I switch one of my majors after I've already started double majoring?

It is possible to switch one of your majors after you've already started double majoring, but it may require you to take extra courses or extend your graduation timeline. It's important to speak with your academic advisor and carefully plan out any changes to ensure you can still meet all the requirements for both majors.