Advice Needed for Geophysical Data Analysis

Alternatively, you could search in the universities' libraries and see what books they have for each of those terms and get them.
abidemi
Good day, i need your advice on my latest career.I have B.Sc in Physics,M.Sc in Solid Earth Geophysics and now currently doing my Ph.D in non linear dynamics,investigating of chaos in geophysical data using correlation dimension and lyapunov exponent.I need your advice on how to be grounded in Time series analysis,correlation dimension and lyapunov exponent in order to use it to analyze geophysical data.Thanks in anticipation of your positive response.

Physics news on Phys.org
abidemi said:
Good day, i need your advice on my latest career.I have B.Sc in Physics,M.Sc in Solid Earth Geophysics and now currently doing my Ph.D in non linear dynamics,investigating of chaos in geophysical data using correlation dimension and lyapunov exponent.I need your advice on how to be grounded in Time series analysis,correlation dimension and lyapunov exponent in order to use it to analyze geophysical data.Thanks in anticipation of your positive response.

Welcome to the PF.

I'm not sure we have enough geophysical expertise currently at the PF to be able to answer your question well (I could be wrong though). I Googled Time series analysis,correlation dimension and lyapunov exponent, and got what seem to be some good hits. Maybe have a look through the hit list to see if you are already familiar with that material...

https://www.google.com/search?sourc...exponent&gs_l=hp...0.0.0.1565...0.w41_7Ku-XUg

:-)

I would find search in the courses databases of good universities for each of those terms, and take a look at the reference books they use. Then get those books and study.

Related to Advice Needed for Geophysical Data Analysis

What is geophysical data analysis?

Geophysical data analysis is the process of using mathematical and statistical techniques to interpret and analyze data collected from various geophysical methods, such as seismic, magnetic, and gravity surveys. It helps scientists understand the subsurface structure and properties of the Earth.

Why is geophysical data analysis important?

Geophysical data analysis is important because it provides valuable insights into the Earth's structure and properties, which can be used to study geological processes, locate natural resources, and mitigate potential hazards. It also helps in decision making for various industries, such as oil and gas exploration, mineral exploration, and environmental monitoring.

What are some common challenges in geophysical data analysis?

Some common challenges in geophysical data analysis include dealing with noisy data, integrating data from multiple sources, and selecting the appropriate data processing and interpretation techniques. Other challenges may include limited data coverage and resolution, non-uniqueness of solutions, and uncertainties in the data.

What are some commonly used techniques in geophysical data analysis?

Some commonly used techniques in geophysical data analysis include data filtering and processing, spectral analysis, inversion, and imaging. Data filtering and processing techniques are used to improve the quality and usability of the data. Spectral analysis helps in identifying patterns and anomalies in the data. Inversion techniques are used to create subsurface models, while imaging techniques help in visualizing the data in a meaningful way.

How can one improve their skills in geophysical data analysis?

The best way to improve skills in geophysical data analysis is through practice and continuous learning. It is important to have a strong foundation in mathematics, statistics, and geology. Attending workshops, conferences, and online courses can also help in learning new techniques and staying updated with advancements in the field. Collaborating with other scientists and working on real-world projects can also aid in developing practical skills.