Advice needed on learning measure theory.

In summary, the conversation discusses different recommendations for a first exposure to measure theory. While one person finds Bogachev's Measure Theory (vol. I) to be difficult to follow in the proof section, another person suggests trying A Radical Approach to Lebesgue's Theory of Integration which provides a historical prelude to measure theory and better motivation.
funcalys
Do you think having Bogachev's Measure Theory (vol. I) as a first exposure to measure theory sounds a good idea?
I mean while I can understand well the concepts presented in the book, I find some techniques used in the proof section quite hard to follow. :confused:

Physics news on Phys.org
FYI - http://www.essex.ac.uk/maths/people/fremlin/mt.htm - I have not read it myself and don't know how well it is written.
I read "Measure Theory" by Paul Halmos and found it extremely well written.

Try A Radical Approach to Lebesgue's Theory of Integration. It has a very good historical prelude to measure theory, going up to Chapter 7, after which you can read other textbooks and it will be much better motivated.

homeomorphic said:
Try A Radical Approach to Lebesgue's Theory of Integration. It has a very good historical prelude to measure theory, going up to Chapter 7, after which you can read other textbooks and it will be much better motivated.
That book looks awesome. I think I'm going to get that too.

I would recommend approaching the learning of measure theory with a combination of resources and techniques. While Bogachev's Measure Theory (vol. I) may provide a comprehensive and rigorous introduction to the subject, it may not be the most accessible or user-friendly resource for a first exposure.

I would suggest supplementing your learning with additional resources, such as online lectures, video tutorials, or other textbooks that may present the material in a more approachable manner. Additionally, actively engaging with the material by attempting practice problems and seeking clarification from a professor or tutor can greatly enhance your understanding and retention of the concepts.

It is also important to keep in mind that measure theory is a complex and abstract subject, and it is normal to struggle with some of the techniques used in proofs. It takes time and practice to develop proficiency in this area, so do not be discouraged if you find certain aspects challenging.

In summary, while Bogachev's Measure Theory (vol. I) may be a valuable resource, it may be beneficial to supplement your learning with other materials and actively engage with the material to fully grasp the concepts. Ultimately, the most important factor in successfully learning measure theory is finding a method that works best for you.

FAQ: Advice needed on learning measure theory.

1. What is measure theory?

Measure theory is a branch of mathematics that deals with the concept of measure, which is a way of assigning a numerical value to a set or collection of objects. It is used to study the properties of geometric shapes, probability, and other areas of mathematics.

2. Why is measure theory important?

Measure theory is important because it provides a rigorous and systematic way of defining and studying the concept of "size" or "volume" for various mathematical objects. It is also the foundation for many other areas of mathematics, such as probability theory, functional analysis, and partial differential equations.

3. What are some applications of measure theory?

Measure theory has many applications in various fields, such as physics, economics, and engineering. It is used to study the properties of continuous functions, to define and analyze probability distributions, and to develop models for complex systems.

4. How can I learn measure theory?

Learning measure theory requires a strong foundation in advanced mathematics, including real analysis and abstract algebra. It is recommended to start with a textbook on measure theory, along with a good understanding of basic concepts such as set theory and metric spaces. It is also helpful to practice solving problems and working through proofs to gain a deeper understanding of the material.

5. Are there any resources or tools that can aid in learning measure theory?

Yes, there are many resources available to help with learning measure theory. These include textbooks, online courses, lecture notes, and video lectures. It is also helpful to join study groups or participate in online forums to discuss and work through problems with others who are also learning measure theory.