Advice on Casimir PhD Dissertation: String Theory, Cosmology, Inflation

• Thread starter robousy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Phd
In summary, the author of the paper suggests that there might be a connection between the Casimir effect and dark energy. He does not recommend the paper, but the author does have a career ahead of him so it is possible that he may eventually publish something that is more conclusive.
robousy
Hi,

I'm working on a PhD and have finished all my courses and need to think of a dissertation.

I want my work to involve the casimir affect - something I find fascinating, but I also want to have something to do with the theory group at my school which is interested in string theory and cosmology.

The 3 areas of relevance I have identified are:
1) casimir effect as method to stabilize compact extra dims.
2) CE and relations to inflation.
3) CE and relations to dark energy.

I'm just reading papers at the moment but don't really have much direction other than the above 3.

If anyone has a little more experience and interest in this and could suggest some 'do-able' problems in this field related to 1,2,3 above then please leave a post!

Rich

Physics news on Phys.org
robousy said:
Hi,

I'm working on a PhD and have finished all my courses and need to think of a dissertation.

I want my work to involve the casimir affect - something I find fascinating,..
3) CE and relations to dark energy.

I'm just reading papers at the moment ...

I do not recommend this paper but it ties together A. Casimir, B. Cosmology, C. Dark energy.
http://arxiv.org/gr-qc/0406056

if you are reading papers, for the present, you may have come across this one since the title picks up several of your interests.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks - I don't think I've seen that one before.
Why don't you recommend it incidently?

robousy said:
Thanks - I don't think I've seen that one before.
Why don't you recommend it incidently?

I can neither recommend it or UNrecommend it, robuousy :smile:
I checked the author's other papers and he has not published very much. He could well just be starting his career---a postdoc at Tata Institute perhaps.

He doesn't seem to have any physical reasons, he is just pointing out a coincidence in nature. he himself says that it might not mean anything.
I have not read the article enough to be at all critical. So I shouldn't say anything.

but you did say you were interested in Casimir and cosmology and dark energy---and that paper does put those concepts together in an odd way, so i thought you might like to know about it.

have you tried keyword searches in the arxiv? i didnt, I just came on that one by accident. the arxiv search engine might turn up a bunch of papers with both casimir and dark energy in the abstract, or casimir and cosmological constant. might. I didnt check so don't know for sure

Yes, thanks, I am certainly interested in this! :)

Actually - I've only done searches on archive for each individualt subject, never the combination for some strange reason so thanks for the recommendation!

Rich

Related to Advice on Casimir PhD Dissertation: String Theory, Cosmology, Inflation

1. What is the importance of studying string theory and cosmology in a PhD dissertation?

Studying string theory and cosmology in a PhD dissertation allows for a deeper understanding of the fundamental laws that govern our universe. It also provides a framework for addressing unanswered questions about the origin and evolution of the universe.

2. What is the role of inflation in the study of cosmology?

Inflation is a theory that suggests the universe underwent a rapid expansion in the first moments after the Big Bang. It helps to explain the observed homogeneity and isotropy of the universe, as well as the fluctuations in the cosmic microwave background radiation.

3. How does the Casimir effect play a role in string theory?

The Casimir effect is a phenomenon in quantum field theory that is used to provide evidence for the existence of the zero-point energy of the vacuum. In string theory, the Casimir effect is important in understanding the behavior of strings in a curved spacetime.

4. Can you provide any tips for writing a successful PhD dissertation on string theory, cosmology, and inflation?

Some tips for writing a successful PhD dissertation in this field include choosing a specific and well-defined research topic, staying up-to-date on current research and developments, and seeking guidance and feedback from your advisor and other experts in the field.

5. Are there any potential challenges or limitations to studying string theory and cosmology in a PhD dissertation?

One potential challenge is the highly theoretical nature of these topics, which can make it difficult to conduct experiments or collect empirical data. Additionally, the complexity and abstract nature of these subjects may require a strong mathematical background and a significant amount of time and effort to fully understand and analyze.