ADVICE on complex variables course needed:

In summary, if you have taken introductory calculus, you should be able to successfully take this complex analysis course. However, if you have not taken introductory calculus, you will need to review some of the material before starting the class.
kirkulator
i'm sorry if this is the wrong area to be posting such a question, but I am registered for a complex analysis course starting in the fall and I was wondering what i should review before starting this course?

I've had math coursework up through calculus, differential equations, linear algebra, and an introductory proof course.

I was just worried because i haven't worked with complex numbers [imaginary number material] since algebra and that was a long while ago.

Should i review this old algebra material, and what else?

Thanks so much for any input, fellow mathematicians!
Amanda

Physics news on Phys.org
You should post the course description so we can get a better idea. But, if you were able to register for it, then you probably have the pre-reqs already. I am planning on taking this class in the spring next year, and the only pre-req is calc 3. I've only had up too the same background as you, minus the proof course, and I was reading through a complex variables book fine.

Review:
- complex numbers (obviously)
- partial and total derivatives
- line integrals (verrrrrrry important!)
- power series

Thanks a lot, guys. I got an A in proof class, its just been a few quarters since I've been in calculus, and i was a bit nervous! I'll start reviewing immediately.

I had two courses, one called "Complex Variables" and one called "Complex Analysis" so I'm not sure which is more akin to the one you are taking but if you haven't had a course on complex variables before then I doubt it is like the complex analysis course that I took.

Assuming that is true then I second the suggestion of reviewing line integrals and basic properties of complex numbers and how to write them and manipulate them.

Complex numbers definitely lend a little quirkiness to the mathematics, but I think you will find that the skills you picked up so far will be very sufficient for success in the class.

In the parts I have learnt, I think Complex Analysis is one of the more beautiful branches of mathematics. Find out what textbook you will be using and do a little reading ahead. If it is something like Brown and Churchill (a common text for first courses), it will get you started if you look at the first few sections. If you are up to speed on your multivariable calculus, you should do fine.

If you want some supplementary reading, I would recommend Visual Complex Analysis by Tristan Needham:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/0198534469/?tag=pfamazon01-20
or
http://www.bookdepository.com/Visual-Complex-Analysis-Tristan-Needham/9780198534464

It will be different from your textbook (and contain a wider range of material) but it has a lot of insight that is useful for properly understanding the subject.

Last edited by a moderator:
It might be a little late but I'm also planning to take Complex Analysis this year with your same pre-reqs except for intro to proofs. However, I've already taught myself some of it from Saff and Snider's book and the following online text:

http://people.math.gatech.edu/~cain/winter99/complex.html

It's a neat guideline with a simple introduction to most topics you might cover starting with complex numbers; that is if you're taking Complex Variables.

here are some notes i wrote last time i taught the course.

Attachments

• 4150 compactness.pdf
    145.6 KB · Views: 369
  • 4150 series.pdf
    612.9 KB · Views: 336
  • 4150fa09 open maps.pdf
    84.5 KB · Views: 305
heres a review of my whole course i wrote for the students studying for the final.

Attachments

• 4150fa09 review 5.pdf
    472.4 KB · Views: 339
the links and pdf files are extremely helpful, again, thank you! does anyone know the difference between a complex variable course and a complex analysis course?

the one I am taking is complex variables.

kirkulator said:
the links and pdf files are extremely helpful, again, thank you! does anyone know the difference between a complex variable course and a complex analysis course?

the one I am taking is complex variables.

Complex Variables and Complex Analysis are related in much the same way that Introductory Calculus and Real Analysis are related.

Introductory Calculus introduces the topic and theorems and rules and you spend your time learning how to apply them and manipulate them in order to find analytic/quantitative solutions to problems, with some proofs thrown in.

Real analysis takes you deeper down the rabbit hole and you study the rigor of those theorems and spend a lot of time focusing on the proofs.

At my university and with my professors, complex variables and complex analysis was separated in the same way.

I had "Complex Variables" as part of my ODE course, and a math grad student suggested using the Schaum's outline book with the same title (author: Spiegel). I found it very helpful. Really brief on the theory, but that's not what Schaum books are for.

thanks guys, all of the sources were very helpful. I am doing extremely well in the class. its so interesting!

FAQ: ADVICE on complex variables course needed:

What is a complex variable?

A complex variable is a mathematical variable that contains both a real and an imaginary part. It is represented in the form of z = x + iy, where x and y are real numbers and i is the imaginary unit.

What is the purpose of studying complex variables?

Complex variables are used to solve problems in many fields, including physics, engineering, and economics. They can also be used to describe and analyze complex systems in the real world.

What are some applications of complex variables?

Complex variables are used in various applications, such as signal processing, control theory, electrical circuits, fluid dynamics, and quantum mechanics. They are also essential in understanding and solving problems in complex analysis, which is a branch of mathematics.

What are some common techniques used in complex variables course?

Some common techniques used in complex variables course include contour integration, Cauchy's integral theorem, residue theorem, and conformal mapping. These techniques are used to solve problems involving complex functions and their behavior.

What are some tips for success in a complex variables course?

To succeed in a complex variables course, it is important to have a strong foundation in calculus and algebra. It is also helpful to practice solving problems regularly, understand the concepts and theorems, and seek help from professors or classmates when needed. Additionally, having a good understanding of complex numbers and their properties can greatly aid in understanding complex variables.