Advice on Resources -- A really good classical mechanics book?

Heisenberg7
Hello,

I often get confused when it comes to some physical concepts in classical mechanics. That's mostly because I like to ask a ton of questions and because that I dig myself into a hole that I can't come out of. So, I'm wondering if anyone knows a really good classical mechanics book that explains general physical concepts nicely.

Also, I would like to know how much calculus I need to know to be able to do more advanced problems in classical mechanics and electromagnetism. I would say that my Calculus knowledge goes up to probably 80-90% of Calculus 1. Also, a good book would help.

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Have you checked out any of the standard freshman texts?
Halliday and Resnick
Serway, Sears and Zemansky
Young and Freedman
You do not need the current edition.

If you are already using a freshman text, you can gain a lot of insight by supplementing with Feynman
https://www.feynmanlectures.caltech.edu/

Physicists learn classical mechanics at least three times (freshman, junior and graduate school) with increasing levels of rigor. To be honest, freshman physics is a lot about problem solving.

More advanced problems require vector calculus and some partial differential equations.

There are many threads about textbooks for various topics in the textbook subforum.

How would you describe your current knowledge level?

Last edited:
I don't think that thread is very good. The question was overconstrained and there was therefore no solution.

• Informative
Likes berkeman and Frabjous
Heisenberg7 said:
Hello,

I often get confused when it comes to some physical concepts in classical mechanics. That's mostly because I like to ask a ton of questions and because that I dig myself into a hole that I can't come out of. So, I'm wondering if anyone knows a really good classical mechanics book that explains general physical concepts nicely.

Also, I would like to know how much calculus I need to know to be able to do more advanced problems in classical mechanics and electromagnetism. I would say that my Calculus knowledge goes up to probably 80-90% of Calculus 1. Also, a good book would help.

Thanks in advance.
Which book(s) have you been using so far?

Frabjous said:
Have you checked out any of the standard freshman texts?
Halliday and Resnick
Serway, Sears and Zemansky
Young and Freedman
Hmm, not really. I will check these. Thanks.
Frabjous said:
How would you describe your current knowledge level?
I'm not sure to be honest. I only did classical mechanics in high school and middle school (haven't made it to college just yet). Most of the time, I am self taught.

Muu9 said:
Which book(s) have you been using so far?
I have been using Giancoli's book for a while now.

Frabjous said:
Physicists learn classical mechanics at least three times (freshman, junior and graduate school) with increasing levels of rigor.
Also true for electromagnetism, thermodynamics, quantum physics...

Heisenberg7 said:
Hello,

Thanks in advance.
Have you tried to use ChatGpt to drill down on all these questions? Edit: In addition to books, pf, other resources.

Last edited: