Advice on REU application for math

In summary, the conversation revolves around asking for advice on writing personal statements. The main question is what the focus of the statement should be and what topics to include, such as personal interests and experiences, specific projects at a school, and nonpersonal views on the subject. The person plans to seek feedback from a professor and thanks the other participants for their input.
doubleaxel195
I'm just wondering if anyone has any advice on writing personal statements. Is there anything I should absolutely say or anything I should absolutely not say? What should the focus be?

Should it go something like: why I like math, what kind of math I like, any relevant experiences with math I have, and why I think I would be a good researcher? Should I talk about why I like math? Should I talk about the specific projects at that school and how that fits in with my interests (so like a statement of interest in my personal statement)?

Also, I was talking to a classmate and she said when she applied for an REU she talked about math on a nonpersonal level, as well, as in how she believes math is beneficial to the entire world. Is this something I should go into great detail about?

I am planning to speak to at least one of my professors about this, but any feedback would be appreciated. Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Look under internship

http://alumnus.caltech.edu/~natalia/studyinus/guide/statement/link4.htm

Related to Advice on REU application for math

1. What is an REU program and why should I apply for it?

An REU (Research Experience for Undergraduates) program is a summer research opportunity that allows undergraduate students to gain hands-on experience in mathematics research. It is a valuable opportunity to enhance your skills, network with other researchers, and potentially publish your work. It can also be a great addition to your resume and graduate school applications.

2. What are the requirements for applying to an REU program in mathematics?

The specific requirements may vary from program to program, but generally, you must be an undergraduate student majoring in mathematics or a related field and have a strong academic record. Some programs may also require letters of recommendation, transcripts, and a personal statement. It is important to carefully read the application requirements for each program you are interested in.

3. How can I make my application stand out?

To make your application stand out, it is important to have a strong academic record, relevant research experience, and letters of recommendation from professors or mentors who can speak to your potential as a researcher. You should also tailor your personal statement to each program and clearly articulate your research interests and goals. Additionally, highlighting any relevant skills or experiences, such as coding or data analysis, can also make your application more competitive.

4. Are there any tips for writing a strong personal statement for an REU application in mathematics?

When writing your personal statement, it is important to clearly articulate your research interests and goals, as well as any relevant experiences or skills that make you a strong candidate. Be sure to also tailor your statement to each program and demonstrate your enthusiasm and passion for mathematics research. It can also be helpful to have a professor or mentor review your statement for feedback and suggestions.

5. How can I find and apply to REU programs in mathematics?

One way to find REU programs in mathematics is to check with your university's mathematics department or research office for any recommended programs. You can also search online for REU programs in mathematics and carefully review their application requirements and deadlines. It is important to start looking and applying for programs early, as many have limited spots and competitive deadlines.