Advice required on Boolean algebra question

In summary, the conversation revolved around simplifying a Boolean expression, with the speaker initially simplifying it to ~AB + ~A~C + ~AD + ~C~B, but then realizing it could be further simplified to ~AB + ~AD + ~C~B. They discussed using a Karnaugh map to solve the problem and ultimately found the final solution.
Steve Collins
I have been asked to simplify this Boolean expression:

~A~B~C~D + ~A~B~CD + ~A~BCD + ~AB~C~D + ~AB~CD + ~ABC~D + ~ABCD + A~B~C~D + A~B~CD

I have simplified it down to:

~AB + ~A~C + ~AD + ~C~B

But I know that the simplification goes further to:

~AB + ~AD + ~C~B

I've looked at the truth table and seen that ~A~C is indeed superfluous, but I am unsure of how to prove this algebraically.

Physics news on Phys.org
Steve Collins said:
I have been asked to simplify this Boolean expression:

~A~B~C~D + ~A~B~CD + ~A~BCD + ~AB~C~D + ~AB~CD + ~ABC~D + ~ABCD + A~B~C~D + A~B~CD

I have simplified it down to:

~AB + ~A~C + ~AD + ~C~B

But I know that the simplification goes further to:

~AB + ~AD + ~C~B

I've looked at the truth table and seen that ~A~C is indeed superfluous, but I am unsure of how to prove this algebraically.

Can you use a Karnaugh map, or do you need to do it algebraically?

It doesn't need to be done algebraically, I just thought that was the way to do it.
I've heard of a Karnaugh map before, but have no idea what it is or does. I will look it up now.

Cheers

Steve

Steve Collins said:
It doesn't need to be done algebraically, I just thought that was the way to do it.
I've heard of a Karnaugh map before, but have no idea what it is or does. I will look it up now.

Cheers

Steve

Great! Yeah, using a K-map I got the final 3 terms that you listed.

Fantastic! I also found the 3 terms I was expecting and also solved another problem that was giving me some trouble.

Thanks berkeman.

Related to Advice required on Boolean algebra question

1. What is Boolean algebra?

Boolean algebra is a branch of mathematics and logic that deals with the manipulation and representation of logical expressions using variables and logical operators (such as AND, OR, and NOT). It is commonly used in computer science and digital electronics.

2. What is a Boolean expression?

A Boolean expression is a combination of variables, logical operators, and parentheses that evaluate to either true or false. It is used to represent logical statements and can be simplified using Boolean algebra rules.

3. How do I solve a Boolean algebra question?

To solve a Boolean algebra question, you need to apply the rules of Boolean algebra to manipulate the given expression and simplify it. This involves using techniques such as distribution, De Morgan's laws, and simplification of double negatives. You can also use truth tables to check your answers.

4. What are the applications of Boolean algebra?

Boolean algebra has various applications in computer science, digital electronics, and mathematical logic. It is used to design and analyze digital circuits, develop computer programs, create logical statements and proofs, and solve problems in set theory and combinatorics.

5. Is there any software or tool that can help me with Boolean algebra questions?

Yes, there are many software and online tools available that can assist with solving Boolean algebra questions. Some examples include Logic Friday, Karnaugh Map Minimizer, and WolframAlpha. These tools can generate truth tables, simplify expressions, and provide step-by-step solutions to Boolean algebra problems.