Advise on issues with professor

In summary, the student is seeking advice on how to handle troubles in their chemistry class. They attend a small school with a good Physics program, but the Chemistry department is lacking in effective teachers due to several professors leaving unannounced. The student's current Chemistry professor is not teaching effectively and their grades are suffering. They have sought help from their advisor and the department chair, but have not seen any improvement. They are considering involving their parent to intervene.
mege said:
One attitude that I find disturbing is the: "I've paid for this education so I deserve..." comments. While this may be true at a most basic, simplified level - it should be pointed out that the success of the student is still ultimately the student's responsibility. Bad stuff happens and the reaction to it can be as much of a test of character as success in the class. I think having the simplified/entitled attitude steers the problem towards a(n) (potentially percieved) externality.

Instead, I think the comment should be more along the lines of: "I've paid for this education for the opportunity to..." (succeed/learn/research/...). With this line of thinking the student internalizes their struggle and has no one to blame but themself. Now, this doesn't mean that everything is the student's fault - but ultimately how they handle the situation is. Also, opportunity doesn't mean that every student is given the exact same chances... some have an easier time at University than others.

Sorry if I'm replying to much. I get push updates to my phone on posts, and trying to quote everyone at once is a challenge.

I agree that the student has the majority of the responsibility, but when a student exhausts all available options to learn, and still cannot understand the material being not (not my lack of understanding, but by lack of being taught the concepts) then there is something else wrong.

I like to think of it like this: "I've paid someone else for access to their mind of knowledge. But if the person cannot articulate the knowledge, or won't set aside time for me to learn it myself, then I've paid for a service I am not receiving."

What's the point of college if everyone can learn the concepts by themselves?

Physics news on Phys.org
Nano-Passion said:
Welcome to college. The system is made in a way that this isn't uncommon.

Then it is a broken system that needs repair. That's where students like myself try to come in and fix the problem.

Because college is the start of independence, this includes teaching yourself. The professor is there to guide you, not to spoon feed you material. It isn't high school.

I taught myself through high school (taking 5 years to do it). I know how to teach myself and I understand the value of education. I'm paying someone else to teach myself chemistry. I don't want this spoonfed to me. What I do want is for the concepts of what I am doing to be clearly presented, then allowed for me to pick apart and choose what I can do with them.

Yeah, I guess I might have sounded a little harsh. But that wasn't my intention. OP, I apologizes if it bothered you.

It takes a lot more than that to get my feathers ruffled. I appreciate your reply though. It helps to have different viewpoints on a touchy subject like this. =)

1MileCrash said:
As I read down the page, I was waiting for the first "professors are holy and don't have to do anything, you ungrateful n'wah" post.

rdfloyd said:
Then it is a broken system that needs repair. That's where students like myself try to come in and fix the problem.

I taught myself through high school (taking 5 years to do it). I know how to teach myself and I understand the value of education. I'm paying someone else to teach myself chemistry. I don't want this spoonfed to me. What I do want is for the concepts of what I am doing to be clearly presented, then allowed for me to pick apart and choose what I can do with them.

It takes a lot more than that to get my feathers ruffled. I appreciate your reply though. It helps to have different viewpoints on a touchy subject like this. =)

It is a broken system, the reason is that universities, like any other business, is based off money. Therefore universities try to increase their revenue as much as possible. Unfortunately over the years this has meant less quality lectures as a consequence.

I only meant to toughen you up in the sense that there is much more of that to come in college. Its not a perfect system because professors often have a lot of stress to research. Furthermore, the more complex a class gets, the more individual learning is expected. Other than that, if your professor has absurdly hard tests then by all means take it to authority. You seem to have the work ethics so I support you in this.

Nano-Passion said:
It is a broken system, the reason is that universities, like any other business, is based off money. Therefore universities try to increase their revenue as much as possible. Unfortunately over the years this has meant less quality lectures as a consequence.

Which is why I am expressing my concern. If I don't, then I lose the ability to fight later if I don't get an "A" in the class, or if I don't have the foundation required by my later courses. If this was a standard business, there would be a lawsuit for services not fulfilled.

I only meant to toughen you up in the sense that there is much more of that to come in college. Its not a perfect system because professors often have a lot of stress to research. Furthermore, the more complex a class gets, the more individual learning is expected. Other than that, if your professor has absurdly hard tests then by all means take it to authority. You seem to have the work ethics so I support you in this.

I know that courses get tougher, and that individual expectations rise. But at the same time, the professor has to make sure that if he teaches a class, he is able to deliver the absolute best.

I sit in on Dynamics, E&M, and Quantum lectures when I can. I love learning that type of stuff, and it helps prepare me for what's coming up. I know that it's going to be rough, but I also know that the professors that will be teaching me teach because they love to teach. I don't have to be worried about getting a crappy professor in our Physics department because they all rock.