Aerodynamics of a paper rocket

In summary, the speaker is new to the forum but has always been interested in sciences and plans to pursue nuclear engineering. They have created a rocket launcher using PVC pipe and an air compressor, with a maximum pressure of 120 psi. They are seeking help in determining the air resistance and drag coefficient, as well as the maximum speed the rocket reaches when propelled at 100 psi. They mention the difficulty of taking into account gravity, air resistance, friction, and the force of the air pressure. They also mention that the shape of the rocket may affect the accuracy of the calculations.
this1dude
I'm pretty new to this forum but have loved sciences if all kinds since I was young and plan to get into nuclear engineering after high school. Back on topic, I have made a rocket launcher out of pvc pipe that is powered by an air compressor. Ranging from 60-120 psi propelling my paper rocket. Since I'm often bored after school, how can I determine the air resistance and drag coefficient and well the maximum speed it reaches when propelled with 100psi. I know it'll be hard because I have to take into account gravity and air resistance and friction and the force that the 100psi hits it at but anyone who knows this stuff want to help me please?

Physics news on Phys.org
What is the shape of your rocket? Getting a "good" drag answer here could be either fairly easy or basically impossible without computer software.

The max speed will probably occur just as it exits the launching tube. You could try filming it against a stripped background. Estimate how far it moves per frame.

Related to Aerodynamics of a paper rocket

1. What is aerodynamics?

Aerodynamics is the study of how objects move through air and the forces that act upon them.

2. How does aerodynamics apply to a paper rocket?

Aerodynamics applies to a paper rocket because it affects how the rocket moves through the air and the forces that act upon it, such as lift and drag.

3. What factors affect the aerodynamics of a paper rocket?

The shape, size, and weight of the paper rocket all affect its aerodynamics. Additionally, the angle at which the rocket is launched and environmental factors such as air density and wind speed can also impact its aerodynamics.

4. How can I improve the aerodynamics of my paper rocket?

To improve the aerodynamics of a paper rocket, you can experiment with different shapes and sizes, make sure the rocket is lightweight, and launch it at a proper angle. Additionally, adding fins or a nose cone can help improve stability and reduce drag.

5. Why is understanding aerodynamics important for a paper rocket?

Understanding aerodynamics is important for a paper rocket because it can greatly impact the rocket's flight and performance. By understanding how the rocket moves through the air and how to improve its aerodynamics, you can create a more efficient and successful paper rocket launch.