Aerospace Engineering degree with double major?

In summary, a student is seeking advice on which double major to choose between Math, Physics, and Aerospace Engineering. The options are Math + Aerospace Engineering, Physics + Aerospace Engineering, or Math + Physics. The student is most interested in Aerospace Engineering because it offers a potentially interesting and lucrative job. However, they are concerned about not meeting the necessary requirements for graduate school and being left with a job that does not excite them. The advisor cautions that grad school has risks and downsides in most subjects, and the student should carefully consider their options before making a decision.
TheKracken
Hello;

I am currently a California Community College student and my interests are currently Math, Physics and Aerospace Engineering. I am trying to decide on a double major between the three of these and was looking for advice on that and what would be best. I guess my options are:

Math + Aerospace Engineering= Really hard to do, but I am sure it would be pretty fun. Maybe would help me a lot with computational fluid dynamics?

Physics + Aerospace Engineering= This actually seems like the best option because I think things along the lines of Exotic Propulsion would be exciting and this may be the best option for that.

Math + Physics= Probably the easiest option. I feel like I should be able to go to a multitude of graduate schools from this depending on my interests. But I am scared if I don't get the necessary GPA to go to grad school and I just stop I will be left with at best some programming job that would not excite me.

My main reason for my interest in Aerospace is that I could have a job that is not only interesting, but also lucrative.

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, first of all, the GPA necessary to go to grad school is usually 3.0. You should be saying you are afraid that you won't have good enough recommendation letters and a strong enough overall academic record because that is the criteria, not GPA specifically.

Secondly, grad school carries significant risks and downsides in most subjects, not just math and physics, so I would not just assume that you're safe, just because you have more choices than your two majors (i.e. I'd worry more about whether it would be a good idea at all than whether you could get accepted). And it might not be that easy to do other subjects, anyway, depending on what it is and what other classes you cram into the double-major.

FAQ: Aerospace Engineering degree with double major?

1. What is an Aerospace Engineering degree with double major?

An Aerospace Engineering degree with double major is a program that combines the study of aerospace engineering with another major, such as mathematics, computer science, or business. This allows students to gain a deeper understanding of both subjects and opens up more career opportunities.

2. What are the benefits of pursuing a double major in Aerospace Engineering?

The main benefit of pursuing a double major in Aerospace Engineering is the opportunity to develop a diverse skill set. Aerospace engineering is a highly technical field, and combining it with another major can provide a well-rounded education and make graduates more marketable to employers. Additionally, a double major can lead to a wider range of job opportunities and potentially higher salaries.

3. Is it difficult to complete a double major in Aerospace Engineering?

Pursuing a double major in Aerospace Engineering can be challenging, as it requires a lot of hard work and dedication. However, with proper time management and a strong passion for both subjects, it is definitely achievable.

4. What are the career options for someone with a double major in Aerospace Engineering?

Having a double major in Aerospace Engineering opens up a wide range of career options. Graduates can pursue careers in aerospace engineering, aviation, space exploration, defense, and many other related fields. They can also use their additional major to work in industries such as finance, consulting, or research and development.

5. Are there any specific skills or qualities required for a double major in Aerospace Engineering?

To be successful in a double major in Aerospace Engineering, students should have a strong interest in science, mathematics, and technology. They should also possess excellent critical thinking, problem-solving, and communication skills. Additionally, having a strong work ethic and being able to handle a heavy workload is important for completing this degree.

Back