Affine connection transformation

In summary: The first term on the left is the derivative of the overall tensor, and the second term is the derivative of the derivative.
Mr-R
Dear All,

I am teaching myself tensors for the first time. I am using D'Inverno's book and got stuck at page 73. Basically, he says: demand that the first term on the left of the equation to be a type (1,1) tensor. Then he gets the affine connection transformation.

I basically wrote the first term as a second rank mixed tensor transformation. Then I got stuck. I am not sure on how to isolate (?) the affine connection and show how it transforms. I tried many times but failed due to my lack of knowledge of tensors. Could someone help me understand this please?

[itex]\nabla_{c}X^{a}[/itex]= [itex]\partial_{c}[/itex][itex]X^{a}[/itex]+[itex]\Gamma_{bc}^{a}[/itex][itex]X^{b}[/itex]

Thanks in advance! (Sorry if my post isn't very informative as I have to go for 6 hours. When I come back I will be more than happy to upload pictures of my attempts)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You can make a coordinate transformation on the term:

$$\partial_c X^a +\Gamma^a_{bc}X^b$$

You know how ##\partial_c X^a## transform (equation 6.1), and it does not transform as a tensor, so now you need that the transformation of ##\Gamma^a_{bc}X^b## to cancel out the "wrong terms".

Are you having troubles with the details?

Likes 1 person
Carroll does this in detail in his gr notes, if i remember correctly.

Likes 1 person
Matterwave said:
You can make a coordinate transformation on the term:

$$\partial_c X^a +\Gamma^a_{bc}X^b$$

You know how ##\partial_c X^a## transform (equation 6.1), and it does not transform as a tensor, so now you need that the transformation of ##\Gamma^a_{bc}X^b## to cancel out the "wrong terms".

Are you having troubles with the details?

Oh I didn't think of it in that way. Yes my trouble was in the details. I keep messing up the dummy variables and didn't know that I can leave the connection alone while transforming the tensors I know. Like the way Carroll did.

Edit: I managed to derive it finally :smile: but I have a question. In equation 6.1, why do we make [itex]\frac{\partial}{\partial x^{'c}}[/itex]= [itex]\frac{\partial x^{d}}{\partial x^{'c}}[/itex][itex]\frac{\partial}{\partial x^{d}}[/itex] ? at first I didnt do this and it didnt work :frown:

Last edited:
haushofer said:
Carroll does this in detail in his gr notes, if i remember correctly.

This indeed helped me a lot. Made me discover where I need improvements in. Thanks :smile:

Mr-R said:
Oh I didn't think of it in that way. Yes my trouble was in the details. I keep messing up the dummy variables and didn't know that I can leave the connection alone while transforming the tensors I know. Like the way Carroll did.

Edit: I managed to derive it finally :smile: but I have a question. In equation 6.1, why do we make [itex]\frac{\partial}{\partial x^{'c}}[/itex]= [itex]\frac{\partial x^{d}}{\partial x^{'c}}[/itex][itex]\frac{\partial}{\partial x^{d}}[/itex] ? at first I didnt do this and it didnt work :frown:

This is just the chain rule from multi-variable calculus.

Related to Affine connection transformation

1. What is an affine connection transformation?

An affine connection transformation is a mathematical concept used to describe how geometric objects, such as curves and surfaces, change when they are moved from one coordinate system to another. It is a fundamental tool in differential geometry and is used in various fields of science and engineering.

2. How is an affine connection transformation different from a linear transformation?

An affine connection transformation differs from a linear transformation in that it includes both linear and non-linear components. While a linear transformation only involves scaling, rotating, and reflecting objects, an affine transformation also includes translation, shearing, and stretching.

3. What is the purpose of an affine connection transformation?

The purpose of an affine connection transformation is to provide a way to describe how geometric objects change when they are transformed from one coordinate system to another. This allows us to understand the shape and properties of objects in different coordinate systems and how they relate to each other.

4. How is an affine connection transformation represented mathematically?

An affine connection transformation is typically represented by a set of coefficients and constants known as the affine connection coefficients. These coefficients describe the relationship between the coordinates in the original system and the coordinates in the new system.

5. In what fields of science and engineering is an affine connection transformation used?

An affine connection transformation is used in various fields of science and engineering, including physics, computer graphics, robotics, and computer vision. It is also an essential concept in the study of curved spaces in general relativity.