Agriculturist hoping to become physicist

• Thread starter red gaint
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physicist
In summary, a physics degree obtained through regular college or one obtained through distant learning (also there are other things too such as GPA, research experience etc to make it appealing) is more appealing to a grad school, but in my present situation I have no time to attend a regular college though I can.
red gaint
Bear with me if am off-tracked and abstract...

I am 23yrs old, graduate of a 4 year degree in agriculture ( GPA-77% ). I was forced to do this degree because of my family situation. The world has darken before me & am extremely unhappy with my profession. I am good in physics and maths and wanted to make a career in physics.

Does a really good score in GRE general and subject test with agriculture degree ( it's purely biology, no maths or physics course in it), opens the door to prestigious physics graduate schools in U.S? or Should I do a physics degree and try my bet? even i do a physics degree there's no possibility for any research in my country as it's one of the most abandoned course and i can't afford a course abroad.

Kindly advice me on this path...

Many thanks..

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
If you have never taken a physics course, you are unprepared for graduate study in physics. Particularly at the more difficult schools. Even if accepted into a physics graduate program, you will have to spend significant time - at least two years - catching up.

It will be difficult to get a good score on the subject GRE without having taken classes.

Thank, for your replies!

Which would be more appealing to a grad school, an undergraduate physics degree obtained through regular college or one that obtained through distant learning (also there are other things too such as GPA, research experience etc to make it appealing ), but in my present situation I have no time to attend a regular college though I can, for it, I've to put my family under pressure.

I don't want to regret again in my life by making any wrong move.

please advice me...

Undergraduate physics degree through "distant learning"? How do you propose do complete all those physics labs?

Zz.

Practical classes can be taken up during weekends from accredited colleges by the university.

If you don't have time for taking undergraduate classes, you certainly don't have time for graduate school.

red gaint said:
Practical classes can be taken up during weekends from accredited colleges by the university.

So there are accredited universities that you can enroll that just happen to have an agreement with your local accredited universities that allow you to do your lab work at their facility? And all of them have physics programs that are accredited? How lucky can you get?

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
So there are accredited universities that you can enroll that just happen to have an agreement with your local accredited universities that allow you to do your lab work at their facility? And all of them have physics programs that are accredited?

Sir, i couldn't figure out what you try to mean. Here is my answer to what i understood,
the education system in my country runs like this, students are entitled to select the major at time of admission to a university. The pure science subjects are three year degree programs, a student who wish his major to be changed in mid-course have no other choice but to discontinue and start his program afresh. There is no flexibility as in US universities starting as one major, finishing it in another major as a student's wish.

And to tell there is no university in my country that offers a major (honours) degree except only one, rest offers general degree ( i.e. for example...B.Sc (physics) includes some credits in physics, few less credits in maths, few credits in chemistry, few credits in english, few credits in local language) the syllabus is compulsory & fixed there's no options extra, these degrees provide breath in knowledge but no depth in particular area. Atleast fine to have a university that provides honours degree, but serves a particular geographical area which is several thousand miles from my dwelling place.

Thankfully the national open university which provides degree programs though distance education have a honours program i.e why i felt a honours degree in physics through distance learning is more valuable than a general physics degree through regular classes from local university. And the lab work for honours program can be taken up in the local university's facility.

I wonder why local university doesn't offer a honour degree? Dunno the reason...

ZapperZ said:
How lucky can you get?

May I ask you what you intend to say...lucky in the sense, quality of learning or acceptance into grad school.

Any recommendation heartly welcome...

Related to Agriculturist hoping to become physicist

What is an agriculturist hoping to become physicist?

An agriculturist is a professional who specializes in the cultivation and management of crops and livestock. A physicist, on the other hand, is a scientist who studies and explores the fundamental principles of nature and the physical world. Therefore, an agriculturist hoping to become a physicist is someone who wants to transition from the field of agriculture to the field of physics.

What skills does an agriculturist need to become a physicist?

To become a successful physicist, an agriculturist will need to have a strong foundation in mathematics and the physical sciences. They should also have critical thinking and problem-solving skills, as well as the ability to conduct research and analyze data. Additionally, excellent communication and teamwork skills are essential for collaboration with other scientists and presenting findings.

What educational background is required to become a physicist?

To become a physicist, one typically needs to have a bachelor's degree in physics or a related field such as mathematics, engineering, or astronomy. Many physicists also hold advanced degrees, such as a Master's or Ph.D., for more specialized research and career opportunities.

What are the job opportunities for an agriculturist who becomes a physicist?

An agriculturist who becomes a physicist can pursue various career paths, including research positions in government agencies, universities, or private companies. They can also work as consultants, using their knowledge of both agriculture and physics to solve real-world problems. Additionally, they can teach at the university level or become science writers or communicators.

Can I apply my knowledge of agriculture in the field of physics?

Yes, there are many areas of overlap between agriculture and physics. For example, understanding the physical properties of soil is essential for optimizing crop growth, and studying the physics of weather and climate can help improve agricultural practices. Additionally, advancements in technology, such as precision agriculture and remote sensing, have increasingly relied on physics principles to improve efficiency and sustainability in agriculture.