Air burst testing with concrete (scaled down)

In summary, the speaker is an apprentice at structural engineering and is designing a concrete barrier to withstand explosions, ballistics, and heavy impact. They are unsure if their lab's blast device, which has a maximum pressure of 120 psi, will be strong enough to test the scaled-down model of their barrier. They are looking for ideas and help from others with knowledge on the subject. They plan to build a scaled-down model that is 10-20 cm in height and no more than 3 cm in thickness.
Uncivil
Hi guys, litterely just signed up today and am liking the site.
Ill cut to the chase.

I am designing a concrete barrier to resist explosions, ballistics and heavy impact. Now while I am still an apprentice at structural engineering, My knowledge in mechanics and general physics isn't amazing, although I enjoy both subjects. Heres the problem.

At my lab, the closest I can get to recreating a blast is using a device that can blast air out at 120 psi.
now the structures I am going to be building and testing are going to be scaled down by 10.

is 120 psi going to be enough to test until failure? Concrete can take a compressive force of a few thousand psi, but when it comes to a sudden impact or blast, this dramatically drops.

But because of the scale, I'm not really sure how this works or how I should compensate. any ideas? any help or ideas from anyone with knowledge on the subject would be great. thanks in advance.

ps the scaled down model I wlil be building will lie approx 10-20 cm in height with a thickness of no more then 3 cm. I'm still only at the beginning of research and design, so I'm just looking into feasibility.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Sounds like you might have to build a pneumatic cannon. Maybe with an intensifyer.

Related to Air burst testing with concrete (scaled down)

What is air burst testing with concrete?

Air burst testing with concrete is a method used to simulate the effects of an explosion on concrete structures. It involves detonating explosives at a set distance from a scaled-down concrete structure to measure its response and evaluate its vulnerability to blast loading.

Why is air burst testing important for concrete structures?

Air burst testing is important because it helps engineers and scientists understand the behavior of concrete structures during explosions. This information can be used to design stronger and more resilient structures to protect against terrorist attacks, accidental explosions, and natural disasters.

How is air burst testing with concrete conducted?

Air burst testing is typically conducted in a specialized facility with a containment structure and large open space. The scaled-down concrete structure is placed in the open space, and explosives are detonated at a predetermined distance to simulate an explosion. High-speed cameras and sensors are used to measure and record the response of the concrete structure.

What are the benefits of scaled-down air burst testing compared to full-scale testing?

Scaled-down air burst testing is a cost-effective and efficient way to evaluate the response of concrete structures to explosions. It allows for multiple tests to be conducted in a controlled environment, which is not possible with full-scale testing. Additionally, scaled-down testing can provide valuable insights into the behavior of concrete structures that may not be evident in full-scale testing.

What can air burst testing with concrete tell us about a structure's vulnerability to explosions?

Air burst testing can provide valuable information about a structure's vulnerability to explosions, such as the amount of damage it may sustain, its potential for collapse, and the effectiveness of different protective measures. This information can be used to improve the design and safety of concrete structures.