Air spring stiffness calculation

In summary, the author is trying to determine the stiffness of an air spring by comparing it to the stiffness provided by the supplier. However, he gets a different value. He also suggests using a curve fit equation to determine the effective k values for an air spring.
serbring
Hi guys,

I must simulate with simulink an air spring, connected to a device. In many book is present this non linear formula:

k(h)=-(n*P0*Ae*h0^n)/(h^(n+1))

Where:
P0 is the air pressure at the equilibrium condition
h0 is the spring heigth at the equilibrion condition
Ae=F/P0 is the effective area
n is the polytropic coefficient

So for checking the formula, I try to compare my result with the stiffness provided by the supplier and unfortunately I get a different value (40% less) .

In this link you can find an air spring catalogue:
http://213.164.133.30/catalog/ShowBalgPDF/SZ 50-11.pdf

For example, at 3bar=3*10^5 Pa I got an force of 1200N, h0=0.15m

K(h0)=1.4*1200/0.15=11200N/m, instead of 18500N/m. What is wrong in my calculation?

Thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
hi were you able to get an answer to this ...?

Unfortunately not

are you working on Air Spring simulation ? was it for some college project ?

I am working on air spring simulation for a multibody simulation project

Oh that's good. Even i am doing same. What all are you investigating ? Maybe we can converse over mails, if that is ok with you .

This is an obvious question; but, are you sure you are using the same value of "n" as the manufacturer is using in the equation for the type of gas in the cylinder?

After viewing the air spring design configuration (which I should have done before entering my above post) I don't think that my question in that post is of any value.

Alternatively, I suspect that a curve based upon actual load vs deflection test results are the only way to establish a truly accurate curve for the sleeve deflections on that type of air spring. If you need to simulate such a spring for a project I recommend that you select a specific manufacturer's spring that suits your application and based upon the actual travel range you require; then, try to establish a curve fit equation for F vs d for that section of the manufacturer's supplied F vs d curve to use to determine the effective k values in your calculations.

Related to Air spring stiffness calculation

1. What is air spring stiffness?

Air spring stiffness refers to the measure of the resistance of an air spring to compression. It is a numerical value that indicates how much force is required to compress the air spring by a certain distance.

2. Why is air spring stiffness important?

Air spring stiffness is important because it affects the overall performance and handling of a vehicle or machine. A higher stiffness can improve stability and handling, while a lower stiffness can provide a more comfortable ride.

3. How is air spring stiffness calculated?

Air spring stiffness is calculated by dividing the change in force by the change in height of the air spring. This can be done through experimental testing or by using mathematical equations that take into account factors such as air pressure and the volume of the air spring.

4. What factors affect air spring stiffness?

The main factors that affect air spring stiffness are the volume of the air spring, the air pressure inside the spring, and the material properties of the air spring. Other factors such as temperature and external forces can also impact the stiffness.

5. How can air spring stiffness be adjusted?

Air spring stiffness can be adjusted by changing the air pressure inside the spring, altering the volume of the air spring, or by using different materials with varying stiffness properties. Some air springs also have adjustable components that can be used to change the stiffness manually.