Airplane dropping Package Help

• Thread starter divlysian
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Airplane
In summary, the conversation discusses an airplane dropping a package at a certain spot on the ground. The first question asks how many seconds before passing the spot the package should be dropped, with options ranging from 1.81s to 4.33s. The second question asks how far before passing the spot the package should be dropped, with options ranging from 82.2m to 109m. The equations for the projectile's horizontal and vertical components are provided, and the person attempting to solve the problem is struggling to use them. The expert summarizer suggests approaching the problem with projectile motion instead of using the equations provided.
divlysian

Homework Statement

I tried many times to do these two problems but I can't seem to start somewhere...

An airplane is flying horizontally at a speed of 50 m/s, and at an elevation of 160m drops a package. In order to hit a certain spot on the ground, how many seconds before passing the spot must he drop the package?

A. 1.81s
B. 2.01s
C. 3.2s
D. 4.33s

An airplane is flying horizontally at a speed of 50 m/s, and at an elevation of 160m drops a package. In order to hit a certain spot on the ground, how far before passing over the spot must he drop the package?

A. 82.2m
B. 90.4m
C. 99.7m
D. 109m

Homework Equations

Vf = vi +at
Vf^2 = vi^2 + 2ax
x = vit + .5at^2

For both vertical and horizontal components of the projectile

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't even know where to start. I tried doing 160m = 50t + 4.9t^2 and doing quadratic formula for that but I got a t value that isn't an answer, and both questions are connected so I'm really stuck :/

Physics news on Phys.org
The horizontal and vertical components do not go into the same equation. So the horizontal acceleration is not 4.9, and the initial vertical velocity is not 50 m/s. Write out the information you know about the acceleration, velocity, displacement and such in the y direction, and then do the same for the x direction. These questions are kind of flawed because you can solve this question without using any of those equations, I divided each of the horizontal displacements by the horizontal velocity and saw which times overlapped with the first question, turns out only one of them did, so that would be your correct answer, but I think that is not what your teacher wanted. So try it out with projectile motion.

Last edited:

Related to Airplane dropping Package Help

1. How does an airplane drop packages from the sky?

An airplane can drop packages from the sky by either using a parachute system or a container with a built-in parachute. The pilot will release the package at a designated location and altitude, and the parachute will automatically deploy, allowing the package to safely reach the ground.

2. What types of packages can an airplane drop?

An airplane can drop a variety of packages, including food and medical supplies, emergency relief items, and even larger items like vehicles. The weight and size of the package will determine the type of aircraft and delivery method used.

3. How accurate is the delivery of packages dropped from an airplane?

The accuracy of package delivery depends on the type of delivery system used and weather conditions. Parachute systems have a high degree of accuracy, while other methods may have slightly less precision. However, pilots and delivery teams carefully plan and coordinate the drop to ensure the package reaches its intended location.

4. What safety precautions are taken when dropping packages from an airplane?

Before dropping packages from an airplane, pilots and delivery teams must ensure that the airspace is clear and that there are no safety hazards in the designated drop zone. They also carefully monitor weather conditions and adjust delivery plans as needed to ensure the safe delivery of the package.

5. How is the cost of dropping packages from an airplane determined?

The cost of dropping packages from an airplane depends on several factors, including the type of aircraft and delivery method used, the weight and size of the package, and the distance it needs to be delivered. Other considerations may include fuel costs, pilot and delivery team salaries, and any necessary permits or fees.