Airplane flying in a horizontal circle

In summary, the problem involves finding the radius of a circular path in which an airplane is flying at a speed of 410 km/h with its wings tilted at an angle of 42° to the horizontal. The required force to maintain the circular motion is provided by an "aerodynamic lift" perpendicular to the wing surface. Using the equations for circular motion and force, the radius is found to be approximately 19000 meters.
dorkymichelle

Homework Statement

An airplane is flying in a horizontal circle at a speed of 410 km/h (Fig. 6-41). If its wings are tilted at angle a = 42° to the horizontal, what is the radius of the circle in which the plane is flying? Assume that the required force is provided entirely by an “aerodynamic lift” that is perpendicular to the wing surface.

Homework Equations

Ac = v2 / r
F=ma

The Attempt at a Solution

I did this prob with a friend today and then again on my own still didn't get it right... Please help, I have a test tomorrow lol
I am going to use L as the force that's providing the lift.
and a as the angle.
verticle component of L has to equal to mg or else the plane will fall down.
horizontal component of L is making the plane go in a circle
so L cosa - mg = 0
L sin a = m*v2 /r
Lcos a = mg
L = mg/cos a
plugging back into L sin a = m*v2 /r
i got (mg/cosa)*sina = m*v2/r
the m's cancel
so tan a*g = v2/r
r = v2/(tan a *g)
plugging in numbers
i got r = 4102/tan42*9.8
= 168100/8.8239 = 19050.5 round to 3 significant figures, 19000
please look over and correct mistakes

Physics news on Phys.org
Check your units. Your final expression currently is: [tex]r = \frac{(410\,\rm km/hr)^2}{\tan(42^{\circ}) \cdot 9.8 \, \rm m/s^2}[/tex]. This gives your answer in [tex]\frac{\rm km^2 \cdot s^2}{\rm m \cdot hr^2}[/tex]

ah! units are going to be the death of me! thankyou!

No prob. It doesn't hurt to put units in your calculations. In physics, quantities without units are meaningless. (Unless they're dimensionless!:smile:)

or explain where im going wrong

I would like to point out that this solution assumes that there are no external forces acting on the plane, such as wind or air resistance. In reality, these external forces would affect the flight path and require additional calculations to accurately determine the radius of the circle. Additionally, the solution assumes that the lift force is solely perpendicular to the wing surface, which may not always be the case. It is important to consider all factors and assumptions when solving a physics problem.

Related to Airplane flying in a horizontal circle

What is the concept of an airplane flying in a horizontal circle?

The concept of an airplane flying in a horizontal circle is known as circular motion. It refers to the movement of an object along a circular path with a constant speed. In the case of an airplane, it involves the aircraft maintaining a constant altitude while turning in a circular path.

What is the role of centripetal force in airplane flying in a horizontal circle?

Centripetal force is the force that keeps an object moving in a circular path. In the case of an airplane flying in a horizontal circle, the centripetal force is provided by the lift force generated by the wings. This lift force is directed towards the center of the turn and allows the airplane to maintain its circular path.

What factors affect an airplane's ability to fly in a horizontal circle?

The main factors that affect an airplane's ability to fly in a horizontal circle include its speed, weight, and the angle of bank (the angle at which the airplane is tilted while turning). A higher speed and lower weight make it easier for the airplane to maintain the circular path, while a steeper angle of bank requires more lift force and can increase the risk of stalling.

What is the difference between a coordinated and uncoordinated turn in an airplane?

A coordinated turn in an airplane is when the aircraft is turning with the correct amount of bank and rudder input, resulting in a balanced distribution of lift and centripetal force. An uncoordinated turn, on the other hand, is when the airplane is turning with an incorrect amount of bank or rudder input, causing an imbalance in the forces and potentially creating a slip or skid in the turn.

What are some challenges of flying an airplane in a horizontal circle?

Flying an airplane in a horizontal circle can pose several challenges, such as maintaining a constant altitude, managing the required bank angle and rudder input, and avoiding stalling. Additionally, factors such as wind, turbulence, and weight distribution can also affect the stability and smoothness of the turn. Pilots must be well-trained and experienced in handling these challenges to successfully execute a horizontal circle maneuver.