Al-Khwarizmi's 6th quadratic case

• Thread starter KevinMWHM
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Quadratic
In summary, the conversation discusses a problem with coming up with a formula based on Al-Khwarizmi's 6th algebraic equation and the definition of "number of roots". It is suggested to find the average of the roots and halve the coefficient of x to solve the equation. Further research on Al-Khwarizmi's work may provide clarification.
KevinMWHM
The problem: I need to come up with a formula based on Al-Khwarizmi's 6th algebraic equation; bx+c=x^2.

I'm just having a definition problem that's holding me up from moving forward.

The first line of his solution is to "halve the number of roots". What is meant by "number of roots"? Number of roots for a square is just one, isn't it? Or am I defining "roots" wrong in this case?Thanks
-Kevin

Mathematics news on Phys.org
KevinMWHM said:
The problem: I need to come up with a formula based on Al-Khwarizmi's 6th algebraic equation; bx+c=x^2.

I'm just having a definition problem that's holding me up from moving forward.

The first line of his solution is to "halve the number of roots". What is meant by "number of roots"? Number of roots for a square is just one, isn't it? Or am I defining "roots" wrong in this case?Thanks
-Kevin
The number of roots is always equal to the highest degree of the polynomial. The roots may be equal, or they may be different, as the case may be.

Moved from Homework section. @KevinMWHM, if you post in the homework sections, you need to use the homework template.

Antique text translated, they express themselves not in our language, in the ordinary and the mathematical sense.

I'll make a reasoned guess what may be meant could be "find the average of the roots". Which you can certainly do.
Then the distance from there to the roots is the same for both, so you are only having to find one thing.
Put it this way, if you can express the quadratic as the difference between the square of the mean and the square of a root, (m2 - x2) then you can solve it. I don't know if you have the whole text or jusr this fragment, but in the former case there should be other indications of whether this is the idea.

Google is your friend and quickly leads to this page: http://www-groups.dcs.st-and.ac.uk/history/Extras/Al-Khwarizmi_quadratics.html

From this example it is clear that the translation "halve the number of roots" should be interpreted as "halve the coefficient of x", which gives you the term ## \frac b2 ##

Looks like I was about right?
medal_full.gif

FAQ: Al-Khwarizmi's 6th quadratic case

1. What is Al-Khwarizmi's 6th quadratic case?

Al-Khwarizmi's 6th quadratic case refers to the sixth and final case of quadratic equations presented by the Persian mathematician Muhammad ibn Musa al-Khwarizmi in his famous book "Kitab al-Jabr wal-Muqabala" (The Compendious Book on Calculation by Completion and Balancing). This case involves finding the roots of a quadratic equation where the coefficient of the squared term is zero.

2. What is the significance of Al-Khwarizmi's 6th quadratic case?

The 6th quadratic case is significant because it introduced the concept of "completing the square" in solving quadratic equations. This method was a major breakthrough in mathematics and paved the way for further developments in algebra and calculus.

3. How is Al-Khwarizmi's 6th quadratic case solved?

To solve the 6th quadratic case, Al-Khwarizmi used the technique of "completing the square" which involves manipulating the equation to create a perfect square trinomial. This allows for the use of the square root property to find the roots of the equation.

4. Can Al-Khwarizmi's 6th quadratic case be applied to all quadratic equations?

No, the 6th quadratic case is only applicable to equations with a coefficient of zero for the squared term. For equations with non-zero coefficients, different methods such as the quadratic formula or factoring can be used to find the roots.

5. What is the legacy of Al-Khwarizmi's 6th quadratic case?

Al-Khwarizmi's 6th quadratic case has had a lasting legacy in the field of mathematics. It not only introduced a new method for solving quadratic equations, but it also laid the foundation for future developments in algebra and calculus. Al-Khwarizmi's work has had a profound impact on modern mathematics and his contributions are still recognized and used today.