Albinism Allele Copies in Human Cell Division: Meiosis Explanation

In summary, the number of copies of the recessive allele for Albinism found at one pole during telophase I of meiosis in an albino person is 2. This is due to the duplication of the allele during interphase. The correct answer is C.
nicholaschean

Homework Statement

Albinism in humans is controlled by a recessive allele. How many copies of this allele will be found at one of the poles of a cell at telophase I of meiosis in an albino person.
A.23
B.4
C.2
D.1

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Let rr be the recessive allele for Albinism. During interphase, there will be 2 of rr due to duplication. Therefore, when they are sperated by the pole.
there would be 1 rr on the left and 1 rr on the right. Therefore telophase 1, will contain one rr in one nucleus and one rr in the other.

So my ans is D

Physics news on Phys.org
Hmm i hav a 2nd attempt though and i think it shld be correct:
Let r be a recessive allele. A person with albino will be rr. Therefore, this wil duplicate during interphase resulting in 2(rr). Therefore, each pole will have 2(r). Therefore ans is C.

So, what's your question? ;-)

The question is on top liao. As for the attempt, it is the 2nd post

nicholaschean said:
The question is on top liao. As for the attempt, it is the 2nd post
No, I understand what question you were asked. I see that you've answered it. Now, what is your question?

FAQ: Albinism Allele Copies in Human Cell Division: Meiosis Explanation

What is cell division?

Cell division is the process by which a single cell divides into two or more daughter cells. This is a crucial process in the growth and maintenance of an organism.

What are the stages of cell division?

There are two main stages of cell division: mitosis and cytokinesis. Mitosis is the division of the nucleus, while cytokinesis is the division of the rest of the cell.

What is the purpose of cell division?

The primary purpose of cell division is to allow an organism to grow and develop. It is also necessary for the replacement and repair of damaged or old cells in the body.

How does cell division differ in plant and animal cells?

The process of cell division is similar in both plant and animal cells, but there are some key differences. Plant cells have a cell wall and undergo cytokinesis by forming a cell plate, while animal cells form a cleavage furrow.

What can affect the rate of cell division?

The rate of cell division can be affected by various factors, such as hormones, nutrients, and external stimuli. Certain diseases and mutations can also alter the normal rate of cell division.

Back