Algebra difficulty defining equation

In summary, a discounted memory stick was sold for $3 less than its normal price. Seven discounted memory sticks cost $12 more than five non-discounted memory sticks. Therefore, the normal price of a memory stick is $16.50.
late347

Homework Statement

a memory stick was sold with 3 $ discount

seven discounted memory sticks costed 12 dollars more than five of the non-discounted-memory sticks

what is the price of non-discounted memory stick (normal price if you will)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

This is probably simple problem to most of you guys but I always had difficulty with this type of riddles.

I don't think I ever got the reason why, why some constant value, should be added to either the left side of the equation or the right side of the equation.

x = normal price in $

x-3 = discounted price, discounted by 3$

7 * (x-3) = 5x

I'm drawing a blank here... help me out heere. Something is twelve more or twelve less. 12 needs to be added or subtracted from something I think... Reasoning is below.

But isn't the whole purpose of making an equation to say simply... the scale is now balanced.
If the scale is balanced on both sides, then the equation is balanced and the equation has some real solutions. (I think)

For inequalities, the purpose is that one side of the inequality is more than the other side.

Physics news on Phys.org
late347 said:

Homework Statement

a memory stick was sold with 3 $ discount

seven discounted memory sticks costed 12 dollars more than five of the non-discounted-memory sticks

what is the price of non-discounted memory stick (normal price if you will)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

This is probably simple problem to most of you guys but I always had difficulty with this type of riddles.

I don't think I ever got the reason why, why some constant value, should be added to either the left side of the equation or the right side of the equation.

x = normal price in $

x-3 = discounted price, discounted by 3$

7 * (x-3) = 5x

I'm drawing a blank here... help me out heere. Something is twelve more or twelve less. 12 needs to be added or subtracted from something I think... Reasoning is below.

But isn't the whole purpose of making an equation to say simply... the scale is now balanced.
If the scale is balanced on both sides, then the equation is balanced and the equation has some real solutions. (I think)

For inequalities, the purpose is that one side of the inequality is more than the other side.
What is more expensive: seven discounted memory sticks or five non-discounted-memory sticks?

In algebraic terms, the same question would be: which number is larger, 7 * (x-3) or 5x?

Last edited:
Samy_A said:
What is more expensive: seven discounted memory sticks or five non-discounted-memory sticks?

In algebraic terms, the same question would be: which number is larger, 7 * (x-3) or 5x?

seven discounted sticks is more than 5 original sticks.

I think it would then be sensible and reduce the 12, from the discounted sticks.

7*(x-3) is already greater by 12, than the original 5 sticks

so it should be thus that

7*(x-3) - 12 = 5x

when the leftside gets reduced, then the both sides are the same amount. (at least it looks like so in my mind)

that one yields
7x -21 -12 = 5x
7x -33 =5x ]]]] both sides -5x

2x -33 = 0 ]]]]] both sides + 33
2x = 33

x= 33/2 dollars
x= 16,5 $

late347 said:
seven discounted sticks is more than 5 original sticks.

I think it would then be sensible and reduce the 12, from the discounted sticks.

7*(x-3) is already greater by 12, than the original 5 sticks

so it should be thus that

7*(x-3) - 12 = 5x

when the leftside gets reduced, then the both sides are the same amount. (at least it looks like so in my mind)

that one yields
7x -21 -12 = 5x
7x -33 =5x ]]]] both sides -5x

2x -33 = 0 ]]]]] both sides + 33
2x = 33

x= 33/2 dollars
x= 16,5 $
Correct.

Likes late347

Related to Algebra difficulty defining equation

1. What is Algebra and how does it relate to defining equations?

Algebra is a branch of mathematics that deals with symbols and the rules for manipulating those symbols to solve equations. Defining equations is an important aspect of algebra as it helps us understand the relationship between variables and find solutions to problems.

2. What makes defining equations difficult in Algebra?

Defining equations in algebra can be difficult because it involves abstract thinking and requires a strong understanding of mathematical concepts. It also requires a lot of practice and problem-solving skills to manipulate equations and find the correct solutions.

3. How do I know if I have correctly defined an equation in Algebra?

To ensure that you have correctly defined an equation in algebra, you can check your solution by substituting the values of the variables back into the equation. If the equation holds true, then you have correctly defined it.

4. What are some strategies for tackling difficult equations in Algebra?

Some strategies for tackling difficult equations in algebra include breaking down the problem into smaller steps, using visual aids such as graphs or diagrams, and practicing with a variety of problems to improve problem-solving skills.

5. How can I improve my understanding of Algebra and defining equations?

To improve your understanding of algebra and defining equations, it is important to practice regularly and seek help from a teacher or tutor if needed. You can also use online resources, such as video tutorials and practice problems, to reinforce your understanding of the concepts.