Algebra, find orbits and stabilizers

In summary: The same for ##b^{10}##.In summary, the given conversation discusses finding the orbit and stabilizer of 2 in a subgroup L of S10. The subgroup is generated by a 5-cycle and a 3-cycle, with a total of 15 elements. The orbit of 2 is calculated to be {1, 2, 3, 4, 5}, while the stabilizer is {Identity, (8, 10, 9), (8, 9, 10)}. This is because the subgroup L can be rewritten as {a^n, b^n | n ∈ ℕ}, ignoring the b^n factor when calculating the orbit of 2. The order of the permutation p^15
Dassinia
Hello I have the solution of a problem and I don't understand it

1. Homework Statement

We know that every subgroup L<S10 acts on [1, 10] := {1, 2,..., 10} by the formula π • i = π(i). Consider L the subgroup of S10 generated by the permutation p = (1, 2, 3, 4)(4, 5)(8, 9, 10).
Find the orbit and stabilizer of 2

Homework Equations

Orb(x)={l•x ,l ∈ L }
Stab(2)={ l ∈ L , l•x=x}

The Attempt at a Solution

Here's the solution
L=< { p=(1, 2, 3, 4)(4, 5)(8, 9, 10) = (1, 2, 3, 4,5)(8, 9, 10) } > ⊂ S10 is generated by a 5-cycle and a 3-cycle so |L|=15 because(1, 2, 3, 4,5) &(8, 9, 10) don't commute.
Orb(2) = { 1, 2, 3, 4 , 5 }
Stab(2)={ Identity, p5, p10 }I don't understand how they found the orbit. By definition Orb(2)= L • 2 := {l • 2; l ∈ L}. l • 2= l(2) and thn I don't know what to do.
For the Stabilizer why they take p5=(8,10,9) and p10=(8,9,10) ? The order of the permutation is 15 so why Stab(2) isn't { Identity, p15} ?
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Let ##a=(1\ 2\ 3\ 4\ 5)## and ##b=(8\ 9\ 10)##. The subgroup L is ##\{a^nb^n\ |\ n\in \mathbb{N}\}##. In calculating the orbit of 2 you can ignore the ##b^n## factor because it doesn't act on 2.
So the orbit of 2 is ##\{a^n(2)\ |\ n\in\mathbb{N}\}## which is ##\{a^n(2)\ |\ n\in\{0,1,2,3,4\}\}## since ##a^n=##Identity.

##p^{15}## is equal to the identity, so will not be listed in any stabilizer group.

From the above we have that ##p^5=b^5, p^{10}=b^{10}## because the ##a## part is the identity, having a cycle of 5. To see why ##b^5=##(8 10 9) apply the permutation ##b## five times and see what happens.

Related to Algebra, find orbits and stabilizers

1. What is Algebra?

Algebra is a branch of mathematics that deals with the manipulation and solving of symbols and equations to represent relationships between variables.

2. How is Algebra used in finding orbits?

In the field of physics, Algebra is used to calculate the orbits of planets and other celestial bodies. By using equations and formulas, scientists can predict the path of an object in space and determine its orbit.

3. What are stabilizers in Algebra?

In Algebra, stabilizers refer to the elements that keep a particular element or group of elements fixed. They are used in group theory to study the symmetry of objects and patterns.

4. Can Algebra be applied to real-world problems?

Yes, Algebra is widely used in various fields such as physics, engineering, economics, and computer science to solve real-world problems. It helps in making predictions, analyzing data, and developing models for complex systems.

5. Is Algebra difficult to learn?

Algebra can be challenging for some people, but with practice and persistence, it can be mastered. It is a fundamental concept in mathematics and building a strong foundation in Algebra can help in understanding more advanced concepts in the future.