Algebra help isolating a variable

In summary, the conversation discusses a basic algebraic question and provides steps to solve it, including using the means-extremes product theorem to get rid of fractions and isolating the variable 'n' using multiplication or division. The conversation also mentions that moderators discourage working backwards to find the answer.
bonodut
This is such a basic question that I'm embarrassed to even ask it but I don't really know where else to turn. I was reading through a derivation and one of the steps goes from [tex] \frac{\sqrt{a}}{n} = \frac{\sqrt{A}}{n+m} [/tex]

to

[tex] n = \frac{\sqrt{a}*m}{\sqrt{A}-\sqrt{a}} [/tex]

I'm getting really discouraged that I can't see how this follows since I know it's just simple algebraic manipulation. Anyway, if anyone could help me out with this I'd really appreciate it.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Well, I can't give you the answer (the moderators strongly discourage working backwards), so let me suggest some steps:

1) You can use the means-extremes product theorem (sometimes referred to as cross-multiplication) to get rid of the fractions. A hint that this might be a good idea is that you're moving from an equation that has two 'n's in it to one in which you've isolated 'n'. That means at some point you are going to have use the distributive property (backwards) to factor out 'n' from a binomial.
.[tex] \frac{a}{b} = \frac{c}{d} [/tex] if and only if [tex] ad = bc [/tex]
2) If you can get 'n' into a sum on one side of the equation, then you merely have to use an operation like multiplication or division to isolate it.

[tex] ab + ac = d \rightarrow a(b+c) = d \rightarrow a = \frac{d}{b+c} [/tex]

Last edited:
Likes bonodut
aikismos said:
Well, I can't give you the answer (the moderators strongly discourage working backwards), so let me suggest some steps:

1) You can use the means-extremes product theorem (sometimes referred to as cross-multiplication) to get rid of the fractions. A hint that this might be a good idea is that you're moving from an equation that has two 'n's in it to one in which you've isolated 'n'. That means at some point you are going to have use the distributive property (backwards) to factor out 'n' from a binomial.
.[tex] \frac{a}{b} = \frac{c}{d} [/tex] if and only if [tex] ad = bc [/tex]
2) If you can get 'n' into a sum on one side of the equation, then you merely have to use an operation like multiplication or division to isolate it.

[tex] ab + ac = d \rightarrow a(b+c) = d \rightarrow a = \frac{d}{b+c} [/tex]
Thanks!

FAQ: Algebra help isolating a variable

What is algebra?

Algebra is a branch of mathematics that uses letters and symbols to represent numbers and quantities. It involves solving equations and manipulating expressions to find the value of unknown variables.

Why is isolating a variable important in algebra?

Isolating a variable means rearranging an equation to have only one variable on one side of the equation. This is important in algebra because it allows us to solve for the value of a specific variable, which is necessary for solving more complex equations and real-world problems.

What are the steps for isolating a variable in an equation?

The steps for isolating a variable in an equation are:

1. Distribute any coefficients or parentheses.
  2. Combine like terms on each side of the equation.
  3. Move all terms containing the variable to one side of the equation by adding or subtracting.
  4. Undo any operations (such as multiplication or division) on the variable by using the inverse operation.
  5. The variable should now be isolated on one side of the equation.

What are some common mistakes to avoid when isolating a variable?

Some common mistakes to avoid when isolating a variable are:

• Forgetting to distribute coefficients or parentheses.
  • Combining unlike terms.
  • Making errors in the order of operations.
  • Forgetting to use the inverse operation to undo an operation.
  • Making a sign error when moving terms to one side of the equation.

How can I practice isolating variables in algebra?

You can practice isolating variables in algebra by:

• Solving practice problems or completing worksheets.
  • Using online resources or apps that provide practice problems and step-by-step solutions.
  • Working with a tutor or in a study group to get feedback and support.
  • Applying algebra in real-world scenarios, such as calculating the cost of a trip or determining the amount of ingredients needed for a recipe.