Algebra II Equations Containing Radicals Part 2

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving the equation \sqrt {3b -2} - \sqrt {2b + 5} = 1 and the attempts at solving it using various methods. The correct answer is found to be b = 22 after correcting for some missing terms and mistakes in factoring. The conversation ends with the problem being successfully solved and thanks being given to those who provided guidance.
velox_xox
I managed to get the other problems right, but this one I've been fiddling with and can't seem to get the right answer.

Homework Statement

[tex] \sqrt {3b -2} - \sqrt {2b + 5} = 1 [/tex]

Answer: [itex] 22 [/itex]

Homework Equations

--

The Attempt at a Solution

For this I tried the method of leaving the equation as is and squaring both sides, since this is the way the textbook seems to want me to learn it for this lesson.

[itex] \sqrt {3b - 2} - \sqrt {2b + 5} = 1 [/itex]
[itex] (\sqrt {3b - 2} - \sqrt {2b + 5})^2 = 1^2 [/itex]
[itex] 3b - 2 - 2\sqrt {6b^2 - 10} + 2b + 5 = 1 [/itex]
[itex] 5b + 3 - 2\sqrt {6b^2 - 10} = 1 [/itex]
[itex] 5b + 3 = 2\sqrt {6b^2 - 10} [/itex]
[itex] (5b + 3)^2 = (2\sqrt {6b^2 - 10})^2 [/itex]
[itex]25b^2 + 30b + 9 = 4(6b^2 - 10) [/itex]
[itex] 25b^2 + 30b + 9 = 24b^2 - 40 [/itex]
[itex] b^2 + 30b +49 = 0 [/itex]

At this point, I realize that 22 isn't a factor of that final equation. I've also tried the other methods, such as [itex] \sqrt {3b - 2} = \sqrt {2b + 5} [/itex], and I get b = 7.

I've tried to look through it for obvious arithmetic mistakes or my tendency to create incorrect products of the form (a + b)^2, but I didn't see anything. It could be the sheer volume of the problem has me spooked or tripping up.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
velox_xox said:
I managed to get the other problems right, but this one I've been fiddling with and can't seem to get the right answer.

Homework Statement

[tex] \sqrt {3b -2} - \sqrt {2b + 5} = 1 [/tex]

Answer: [itex] 22 [/itex]

Homework Equations

--

The Attempt at a Solution

For this I tried the method of leaving the equation as is and squaring both sides, since this is the way the textbook seems to want me to learn it for this lesson.

[itex] (5b + 3)^2 = (2\sqrt {6b^2 - 10})^2 [/itex]
[itex]25b^2 + 30b + 9 = 4(6b^2 - 10) [/itex]
[itex] 25b^2 + 30b + 9 = 24b^2 - 40 [/itex]
[itex] b^2 + 30b +49 = 0 [/itex]

At this point, I realize that 22 isn't a factor of that final equation. I've also tried the other methods, such as [itex] \sqrt {3b - 2} = \sqrt {2b + 5} [/itex], and I get b = 7.
This is how I would do it, but you have omitted a term.

The equation should be ##\sqrt {3b - 2} = \sqrt {2b + 5} + 1##.
Now square both sides.
velox_xox said:
I've tried to look through it for obvious arithmetic mistakes or my tendency to create incorrect products of the form (a + b)^2, but I didn't see anything. It could be the sheer volume of the problem has me spooked or tripping up.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Starting from the original equation, move the second radical to the other side and square both sides. You should end up with:

[itex]3b - 2 = (1 + \sqrt{2b + 5})^2[/itex]

After foiling, combine like terms and solve for the [itex]2\sqrt{2b + 5}[/itex] term. You should end up with b - 8 on the other side.

Square both sides once more.

[itex](b - 8)^2 = 4(2b + 5)[/itex]

Foil/distribute and set equal to zero.

Factor the remaining equation and you should end up with zeroes of 2 and 22.
Plug both answers back into the original equation to see which ones work.

Good luck :)

velox_xox said:

You're missing the +11b term from multiplying out (3b-2)(2b+5).

velox_xox said:

You also forgot to subtract the 1 on the right side over to the left side.

Aaah, I see. Apparently, I have trouble with my factoring instincts. A.k.a. I need to factor things out the old fashioned way as opposed to doing mental math.

I see where I went wrong and even though my textbook seems to want me to keep the radicals all on one side, I think I'm going to make exceptions for cases such as this. It gets incredibly messy and too advanced for me the other way. Nevertheless, I tried it out just to try and understand what I was missing; and even though, I couldn't arrive at an answer that way, thanks to everyone's pointers I see where I went wrong here again.

So, thank you Mark44, Hertz (thanks for the luck; I need it! :D), Bohrok, and Villyer.
Here's what I got the last time:

[itex] \sqrt {3b -2} - \sqrt {2b + 5} = 1 [/itex]
[itex] (\sqrt {3b - 2})^2 =(\sqrt {2b + 5}+ 1)^2 [/itex]
[itex] 3b - 2 = 2b + 5 + 2\sqrt {2b + 5} + 1 [/itex]
[itex] (b - 8)^2 = (2\sqrt {2b + 5})^2 [/itex]
[itex] b^2 - 16b + 64 = 4(2b + 5) [/itex]
[itex] b^2 -16b + 64 = 8b + 20 [/itex]
[itex] b^2 - 24b + 44 = 0 [/itex]
[itex] (b - 2)(b - 22) = 0 [/itex]
b = 2 or b = 22

'2' doesn't work; it produces 2 - 3 = 1; '22' checks out with an 8 - 7 = 1. So, unless I bent the rules of algebra to solve this, case closed.

Thanks once again everyone!

Last edited:

Related to Algebra II Equations Containing Radicals Part 2

1. What are radicals in algebra?

Radicals in algebra are expressions that contain roots, such as square roots, cube roots, and higher order roots. These roots are indicated by the radical symbol (√) and represent the inverse operation of raising a number to a power.

2. What is the difference between rational and irrational radicals?

Rational radicals are those that can be simplified to a rational number, while irrational radicals cannot be simplified and result in a decimal that never repeats or terminates. For example, the square root of 4 is a rational radical because it simplifies to the rational number 2, while the square root of 2 is an irrational radical because it cannot be simplified.

3. How do you solve equations containing radicals?

To solve equations containing radicals, you must isolate the radical on one side of the equation and then square both sides to eliminate the radical. You may have to repeat this process multiple times if there are multiple radicals in the equation. However, be sure to check your solutions as extraneous solutions may arise.

4. Can you have a negative number under a radical?

Yes, you can have a negative number under a radical. However, if the index of the radical is even (such as a square root), the result will be an imaginary number. If the index is odd (such as a cube root), the result will be a real number. It is important to note that when simplifying radicals, the radical symbol should only be placed over the positive part of the expression.

5. How do you rationalize the denominator of an equation containing a radical?

To rationalize the denominator of an equation containing a radical, you must multiply both the numerator and denominator by the conjugate of the radical expression in the denominator. The conjugate is found by changing the sign between the two terms in the denominator. This process eliminates the radical in the denominator and results in a rational expression.