Algebraic conversion of LHS to RHS equation

• Thread starter physicsernaw
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about the conversion of the left-hand side (LHS) to the right-hand side (RHS) of an equation involving square roots. The individual is seeking help in solving the equation and has attempted different approaches, but is stuck at a certain point. The final solution involves using the formula (a-b)(a+b) = a^2-b^2 and the fact that a = \sqrt{a} \sqrt{a}.
physicsernaw

Homework Statement

I'm having trouble converting the LHS to the RHS of this equation:

http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=%281%2F%28sqrt%285+%2B+h%29+%29-+1%2F%28sqrt%285%29%29%29%2Fh+%3D+-1%2F%28%28sqrt%285%29*sqrt%285%2Bh%29%29*%28sqrt%285%2Bh%29+%2B+sqrt%285%29%29%29

Homework Equations

N/A

The Attempt at a Solution

I've tried a bunch of different things. One thing I tried was bringing the h in the denominator to the denominators of the numerators (i.e. making it a factor of the numerators' denominators). With common denominators and factoring out h I end up getting:

[urlhttp://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=%28sqrt%285%29+-+sqrt%285%2Bh%29%29%2F%28h*%28sqrt%285%2Bh%29*sqrt%285%29%29%29[/url]

...And I'm stuck there. I would appreciate if someone could just show me step-by-step the solution (working the LHS to meet the RHS please).

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
What is the problem?

ehild

[itex] (a-b)(a+b) = a^2-b^2 [/itex] and [itex] a = \sqrt{a} \sqrt{a} [/itex].

I got it, thanks all.

FAQ: Algebraic conversion of LHS to RHS equation

What is algebraic conversion of LHS to RHS equation?

Algebraic conversion of LHS (left-hand side) to RHS (right-hand side) equation is a process of rearranging and manipulating an equation to isolate the variable on one side and the constants on the other side. This allows us to solve for the variable and find its value.

Why is it important to convert equations from LHS to RHS?

Converting equations from LHS to RHS allows us to solve for the variable and find its value. It also helps in simplifying complex equations and making them easier to understand and work with.

What are the steps to convert an equation from LHS to RHS?

The steps to convert an equation from LHS to RHS are:1. Move all the terms containing the variable to the LHS.2. Move all the constants to the RHS.3. Simplify both sides of the equation, if possible.4. Divide both sides by the coefficient of the variable to isolate the variable.5. Simplify the RHS to get the final solution.

Can equations with variables on both sides be converted from LHS to RHS?

Yes, equations with variables on both sides can also be converted from LHS to RHS. The steps remain the same, but we need to combine like terms on both sides before isolating the variable.

What are some common mistakes to avoid while converting equations from LHS to RHS?

Some common mistakes to avoid while converting equations from LHS to RHS are:- Forgetting to perform the same operation on both sides of the equation.- Not simplifying both sides before isolating the variable.- Forgetting to divide by the coefficient of the variable to isolate it.- Making arithmetic errors while simplifying or isolating the variable.