Algebraic Manipulation of Hypergeometric F'n Parameters

In summary, the conversation discussed a function with a hypergeometric term and the difficulty in evaluating it when |z| is greater than 1. The speaker mentioned finding a similar function with a negative sign and inquired about any algebraic manipulations that could be used to work around it. They also mentioned being open to suggestions for the most efficient way to evaluate the term on a computer. The suggestion was made to look for similar tricks, such as using a power series for natural logarithm to obtain a result for x>1.
cephron
Hi guys, I'm dealing with a function whose integral (via Wolfram integrator) carries a hypergeometric function term: 2F1([itex]\frac{1}{4}, \frac{1}{2}, \frac{3}{2},[/itex] z).

I need to evaluate this function twice for every integral, but |z| will often be greater than 1, so I can't use the hypergeometric series to evaluate this term because it won't converge.

I looked in the database of special cases for the hypergeometric function on wolfram, and found this one, for parameters 2F1([itex]\frac{1}{4}, \frac{1}{2}, \frac{-3}{2},[/itex] z), which equates it to a nice, explicit polynomial expression. It would be perfect except for that darned negative sign!

So before I go playing a violin for myself, I was wondering if anyone knew any algebraic-ish manipulations one could do that might make this work; any way to work around the negative sign? I'll post more detail about the whole function on demand.

Failing that, I'm open to input on how to best (ie. most speedily on computer) evaluate this term for a given z.

Physics news on Phys.org
There is a trick for the natural logarithm. We have a power series for ##\ln(1+x)## which converges for ##|x|<1##. To obtain a result for ##x>1## we can use ##\ln(1+x)=-\ln\left(1+\left(- \dfrac{x}{1+x}\right)\right)##

I think you have to look for similar tricks.

FAQ: Algebraic Manipulation of Hypergeometric F'n Parameters

1. What is hypergeometric function?

The hypergeometric function is a mathematical function that is used in many areas of mathematics, physics, and engineering. It is defined as a power series with three parameters: a, b, and c. The function is denoted as F(a, b; c; x) and can be written as a ratio of two polynomials.

2. What is algebraic manipulation?

Algebraic manipulation is the process of changing the form of an algebraic expression without changing its value. This involves using algebraic rules and properties such as the distributive property, the associative property, and the commutative property to simplify or transform the expression.

3. How are hypergeometric function parameters manipulated algebraically?

The parameters of the hypergeometric function can be manipulated algebraically by using various algebraic techniques such as substitution, factoring, expanding, and simplifying. These techniques can help to simplify the expression and make it easier to evaluate.

4. What are the applications of hypergeometric function manipulation?

Hypergeometric function manipulation has many applications in mathematics, physics, and engineering. It is used to solve differential equations, evaluate integrals, and model various physical systems. It is also used in statistics and probability to calculate probabilities and make predictions.

5. Are there any limitations to algebraic manipulation of hypergeometric function parameters?

Yes, there are some limitations to algebraic manipulation of hypergeometric function parameters. Some expressions may not be able to be simplified algebraically, and in some cases, the manipulation may result in a loss of information or an incorrect answer. It is important to carefully apply algebraic techniques and check the validity of the results.

Back