Algebraic Vectors - Calculating Unit Vectors and Magnitudes

• Thread starter dekoi
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Vectors
Therefore, AX=2/3 * AM = 2/3 * (square root of 16.25) = 2/3 * 4.031 = 2.687 units.In summary, For the given coordinates of points A, B, and C, the length of the median AM is 4.031 units. And the length of AX, with X being the centroid of the triangle, is 2.687 units. The centroid divides the median AM in a ratio of 2:1.
dekoi
edit // 1-4 have been answered. Please scroll down.
-----
Firstly, i would like to make sure whether i am clear on this subject.

If A is (2, 3, 5) and B (5, 2, -3), would AB equal (3, -1, -8) ? And the magnitude of AB would be the Square.root(9+1+64+ .

Either way, i would like someone to assist me in these problems.

1.) "Find the components of the unit vector with direction opposite to that of the vector from X(7,4,-2) to Y(1,2,1)

I first figured out XY, which is (6, -2, 3). Am i correct to assume the opposite of this XY is (-6, 2, -3) ? I then used the formula for the unit vector calculation to figure out the coordinates of the unit vector.However, my answer was (-6/7, 2/7, -3/7) -- while the correct answer should be (6/7, 2/7, 3/7).

2.) ABCDEF is a regular hexagon with sides of unit length. Find the magnitude of direction of AB + AC + AD + AE + AF (all vectors). ABCDEF is drawn counter-clockwise (for conveniance).

I first made AF = AB. Therefore, 2AB + AC +AD + AE. Then AE = AC. Therefore, 2AB + 2AC + AD. Now, am i correct to say AD = AB + BC + CD ? The rest i should be able to calculate.

3.) The sum and the difference of two vectors u and v are given. Show how to find the vectors themselves.

See attached image for Diagram.

I am completely stuck on this one. Is there a proper way of doing it, without trial and error?

4.) Find the length of the median AM in the triangle ABC, for the points A (2, 3/2, -4), B (3, -4, 2), and C (1, 3, -7).

Once again, would e.g AB equal x2 - x1, y2-y1, z2-z1 ?

Thank you.
Please repond asap. :rolleyes:

Attachments

• untitled.JPG
    untitled.JPG
    1.1 KB · Views: 392
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
dekoi said:
Firstly, i would like to make sure whether i am clear on this subject.

If A is (2, 3, 5) and B (5, 2, -3), would AB equal (3, -1, -8) ?

Edit: I realized that you're trying to find the vector between 2 points and not the product of two vectors, but here is the info anyway if you need it
There are two types of vector multiplication: vector(or cross) product and scalar(or dot) product.

Cross(vector) Product is written as <a, b, c> x <d, e, f> and it yields a new vector

The new vector is the determinant of the matrix
| i j k |
| a b c |
| d e f |

Dot(scalar) product is written as <a, b, c> [tex]\scriptsize \bullet[/tex] <d, e, f> and it yields a scalar.

To solve a dot product you multiply the corresponding components and then add them up. (a*d + b*d + c*f)

(Note that for the dot product you technically do multiply a*e and a*f but since those components are perpendicular their product is 0)

Last edited:
dekoi said:
If A is (2, 3, 5) and B (5, 2, -3), would AB equal (3, -1, -8) ?
From your post I think you mean AB to be the 'vector from A to B'. Then yes, but it's just B-A. The notation AB is usually used for multiplication (dot or cross-products of vectors).
1.) "Find the components of the unit vector with direction opposite to that of the vector from X(7,4,-2) to Y(1,2,1)

I first figured out XY, which is (6, -2, 3).
The vector from X to Y should be Y-X=(-6,-2,3). You got the length right and the opposite direction is obtained by multiplying the vector by -1.
3.) The sum and the difference of two vectors u and v are given. Show how to find the vectors themselves.
This is general algebra, not for vectors in particular.
If
x+y=a and
x-y=b
Then adding and subtracting these equations give:
2x=a+b and
2y=a-b
respectively.

Thank you for the responses. I have figured out all the questions/answers.

One more question however, for:

4.) Find the length of the median AM in the triangle ABC, for the points A (2, 3/2, -4), B (3, -4, 2), and C (1, 3, -7).

I have calculated AM.
However, part B is as follows:

Find AX, X being the centroid of the triangle (all medians intersect at centroid).

Does anyone have any ideas? I am not really knowledgeable of any properties involving the centroid of a triangle.

One idea i have: Is the centroid two-thirds the distance to the opposite side on the median. I am fairly sure this is true. Therefore, M1X is 2/3 of M1B (M1 being midpoint, X the centroid, and B as the vertex). Is there a name for this property. Or is it just a definition of a centroid?

Thank you again.

Last edited by a moderator:
dekoi said:
Is the centroid two-thirds the distance to the opposite side on the median. I am fairly sure this is true. Therefore, M1X is 2/3 of M1B (M1 being midpoint, X the centroid, and B as the vertex). Is there a name for this property. Or is it just a definition of a centroid?

Thank you again.

Would anyone happen to know?

dekoi said:
Thank you for the responses. I have figured out all the questions/answers.

One more question however, for:

I have calculated AM.
However, part B is as follows:

Find AX, X being the centroid of the triangle (all medians intersect at centroid).

Does anyone have any ideas? I am not really knowledgeable of any properties involving the centroid of a triangle.

One idea i have: Is the centroid two-thirds the distance to the opposite side on the median. I am fairly sure this is true. Therefore, M1X is 2/3 of M1B (M1 being midpoint, X the centroid, and B as the vertex). Is there a name for this property. Or is it just a definition of a centroid?

Thank you again.

Since you have calculated AM, you can calculate AX. X is the centroid and centroid divides the median (median AM) in the ratio 2:1. So, you can say AX is 2/3 of AM.

FAQ: Algebraic Vectors - Calculating Unit Vectors and Magnitudes

1. What is a unit vector?

A unit vector is a vector with a magnitude of 1, which is used to specify a direction in space. It is often represented by a lowercase letter with a hat, such as u ̂.

2. How do you calculate the magnitude of a vector?

The magnitude of a vector can be calculated using the Pythagorean theorem: the square root of the sum of the squares of the vector's components. For example, if a vector is represented as v = (3, 4), its magnitude would be √(3² + 4²) = √(9 + 16) = √25 = 5.

3. What are some properties of unit vectors?

Unit vectors have a magnitude of 1, and can be used to specify a direction in space. Additionally, they are always perpendicular to each other and to any other vector in the same plane.

4. How do you calculate the unit vector of a given vector?

The unit vector of a given vector can be calculated by dividing the vector by its magnitude. For example, if a vector is represented as v = (3, 4), its unit vector would be u = (3/5, 4/5).

5. Can unit vectors be negative?

No, unit vectors cannot be negative. They only represent direction, not magnitude, so they are always positive values.

Back