Is There One Equation That Can Explain All of Physics?

• Thread starter ffleming7
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary, Neil Turok presented an equation that described all known physics. He put the equation in the background, but it was hard to read. Does anyone know what this equation is and if it is ever practical?According to ChiMeson, the equation is saying that "The function for everything is an integration of all the work of all of the major physicists." I think ChiMeson is correct.
ffleming7
On Neil Turok's TEDtalk he talked about a single equation that described all known physics. He put the equation in the background, but it was hard to read. Does anyone know what this equation is and if it is ever practical?

Physics news on Phys.org
It is very hard to believe there is one, was it relatively short or what?

It is very very long.

Here's a picture of the equation from the talk. It's hard to see.

Attachments

• all knownn physics.bmp
    200.4 KB · Views: 2,797
I would guess he meant it as a joke.

Yeah, that doesn't look meaningful, just a brief run-down of some of the most important ones, all mushed together.

Hah, that is, in a way, funny.

I think it's saying that "The function for everything is an integration of all the work of all of the major physicists."

I think Chi meson is correct. I think this is right.

[tex]\Psi\,=\,\int{e^{{\frac{i}{\hbar}} \int{(\frac{R}{16\pi{G}}\,-\,F^2\,+\,\overline{\psi}iD\psi\,-\,\lambda\varphi\overline{\psi}\psi\,+\,|D\varphi|^2\,-\,V(\varphi))}}}[/tex]

Schrodinger - [tex]\Psi[/tex]

Planck - [tex]\hbar[/tex] or it might be just h?

Einstein and Newton - [tex]\frac{R}{16\pi{G}}[/tex]

Maxwell-Yang-Mills - [tex]F^2[/tex]

Dirac - [tex]\overline{\psi}iD\psi[/tex]

Yukawa - [tex]\lambda\varphi\overline{\psi}\psi[/tex]

Higgs - [tex]|D\varphi|^2[/tex]

Last edited:
Hi,

Just to add a little bit, the equation is not completely trivial, in fact I think ChiMeson did not use the word "work" randomely, because each term is usually included in a lagrangian, used to construct the action. Astro, you missed the imaginary i on top of h ! This is Feynman's thesis :smile:

So, let me quote Feynman once again... He gave this (trivial) example to illustrate what physicists call "TOE".

Any equation can be cast into the form A=0 (waow...) Now suppose you have a list of known physics equations at some point in time. Call those equations [tex]A_{i}=0[/tex] with i a label running on as many equations you have, possibly infinite in number. A TOE can be constructed by the single equation : [tex]\sum_i (A_{i})^2 =0[/tex]

This construction is not what people would like to call a TOE. In particular, this single equation is completely useless, does not lead to any insight whatsoever on Nature and could be called a big cheat. Are you sure that the previous proposition is much more clever that this (Feynman) procedure ?

Request for Assistance with "All Known Physics" formula

I am sorry to trouble you with such a trivial request, but I would be extremely grateful if someone could explain to me (1) how to read aloud (i.e., pronounce each part of) this formula and (2) what variable each of the symbols represents.

(Glad to reciprocate, if possible; I know a bit about U.S. law and speak Japanese fluently if either of those skills would be useful.)

I don't believe there is a standard way of saying where parentheses begin and end but the phrase "the quantity of" combined with pauses is often used to imply what is in parentheses and what isn't.

Astronuc said:
[tex]\Psi\,=\,\int{e^{{\frac{i}{\hbar}} \int{(\frac{R}{16\pi{G}}\,-\,F^2\,+\,\overline{\psi}iD\psi\,-\,\lambda\varphi\overline{\psi}\psi\,+\,|D\varphi|^2\,-\,V(\varphi))}}}[/tex]

(capital) Psi equals the integral of e raised to the quantity of i over h-bar (or it might just be h) multiplied by the integral of R over 16 pi G minus F squared plus psi bar i D psi minus lambda phi psi bar psi plus the absolute value of D psi squared minus V phi.

Last edited:
still more on this equation at Perimeter Institute of Theoretical Physics - Public Lectures
pdf and media available

2 n k equation ?

Are we able to use it for something simple? Like basic gr12 physics?

Related to Is There One Equation That Can Explain All of Physics?

1. What is the "All Known Physics Equation"?

The "All Known Physics Equation" refers to a hypothetical equation that would encompass all of the laws and principles of physics, allowing us to fully understand and predict the behavior of the physical world. It is often referred to as the "Theory of Everything".

2. Has the "All Known Physics Equation" been discovered?

No, the "All Known Physics Equation" has not been discovered yet. Scientists are still working towards finding a unifying theory that can explain all physical phenomena.

3. Why is it important to find the "All Known Physics Equation"?

Finding the "All Known Physics Equation" would have significant implications for our understanding of the universe and could potentially lead to technological advancements. It would also help bridge the gap between different branches of physics and provide a more complete picture of the physical world.

4. How close are we to discovering the "All Known Physics Equation"?

Scientists have made significant progress in understanding the fundamental laws of physics, but we are still far from finding the "All Known Physics Equation". It is a complex and ongoing area of research.

5. Are there any theories or candidates for the "All Known Physics Equation"?

There are several theories and candidates that have been proposed, such as string theory, loop quantum gravity, and the theory of everything by physicist Stephen Hawking. However, none of these have been proven to be the definitive "All Known Physics Equation" yet.