Alleged serial killer says 'I enjoy the excitement of Quake'

• Thread starter hitssquad
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Serial
In summary: If it weren't for video games, I would have to go out and kill people, or rape them, or something.Exactly...I would like to see some comparative statistics that show the proportion of violent criminal behavior of criminals that play games like Quake to those violent criminals who have never played games like Quake.
hitssquad
http://groups-beta.google.com/group...376e18d45dd/2349c966ae469fb5#2349c966ae469fb5

Jet Duncan Mar 17 2001, 9:41 pm show options

Newsgroups: alt.games.quake2
From: "Jet Duncan" <j...@usa.net> - Find messages by this author
Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2001 20:39:47 -0600
Local: Thurs,Mar 15 2001 9:39 pm
Subject: Old man Rookie would like help finding a decent game controller for Quake II and Quake III
Reply to Author | Forward | Print | Individual Message | Show original | Report Abuse

I enjoy the excitement of Quake, but when I go to a frag match I get
creamed. I just can't seem to control my weapons as well as everyone else.
My system is no sissy, but My joystick might be (InterAct Raider Pro
Digital). Is there a better joystick, or maybe I just need to configure it?
I'll take any suggestions, thanks

!

For those who do not know, this is Joseph "Jet" Duncan:
planethuff.com/darkside

joeduncaniii.JPG

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Btw he gets "creamed" because he uses a joystick. He should use a mouse. RAzer boomslang or at least a logitech.

So? Whats your point? If it was found out that if he was also into classical opera would you think that contributed to his criminal behavior ?

so-crates said:
So? Whats your point? If it was found out that if he was also into classical opera would you think that contributed to his criminal behavior ?

Exactly...I would like to see some comparative statistics that show the proportion of violent criminal behavior of criminals that play games like Quake to those violent criminals who have never played games like Quake.

Jack the ripper didn't need video games to get motivated now did he.

I play violent video/computer games - blow stuff up, etc etc. I watch many violent videos including gore, skin avulsion, blown up heads of cadavers by US snipers in Iraq, all kinds of really bad trauma stuff - to get a taste of what's to come for a work in an ambulance.

And I can assure you - I'm absolutely not violent :biggrin: I even try to avoid stepping on the ants as I walk back home at night. Its all a matter of education and other factors - you can be a Math PhD and send out bombs in the mail, or you can be a Chemical Engineer and an ex-Army guy who swore to protect the citizens and blow up federal buildings. It doesn't matter. If you decide to do it - you will.

In each of those cases the men and women who commited violent crimes had some motive - there was action and reaction - a cause and effect. Try to work on confronting the causes and effects with your children and you won't have a problem. You can't just say 'killing is bad' NO, its NOT! Its wrong and your kid won't trust you subconsciously. If you tell them that its bad because it says so in the Bible - so what? If the kid is really that dumb to believe you, yea I guess he won't do it. You should talk to your kid and explain that in our society we are always on the lookout for our backs - don't make him/her too paranoid - but don't let their guards down. If they are not prepared for this simple fact of life, well perhaps they never really belonged in this society. Its not so simple to live around so many millions of people where not everyone will have a straight face or same color of the skin as you are - the violence as well as killing will always be there

Some people vent out their anger through video games. You should be very grateful those games and this technology exists so I don't have to go places and do bad things to people.

Related to Alleged serial killer says 'I enjoy the excitement of Quake'

1. What is Quake and why is it relevant to this alleged serial killer?

Quake is a popular first-person shooter video game. The alleged serial killer mentioned enjoying the excitement of playing Quake in their statement, potentially indicating a connection between their actions and the game.

2. Is there any scientific evidence linking violent video games to real-life violence?

While there have been numerous studies on the effects of violent video games on individuals, there is no conclusive evidence to suggest that playing these games directly leads to real-life violence.

3. Is there a correlation between mental illness and violent behavior in individuals who play video games?

There is no clear correlation between mental illness and violent behavior in individuals who play video games. Many factors contribute to violent behavior, and playing video games alone is not a determining factor.

4. Can playing video games desensitize individuals to violence?

Some studies have suggested that individuals who play violent video games may become desensitized to violence, but it is not a universal effect. Other factors, such as upbringing and exposure to real-life violence, also play a role in an individual's reaction to violent content.

5. Could there be other underlying factors that contribute to this alleged serial killer's actions?

While the individual may have mentioned enjoying playing Quake, there could be other underlying factors, such as a history of mental illness or trauma, that contributed to their alleged actions. It is important to consider all aspects of an individual's life before making assumptions about the cause of their behavior.

Back