Allowed values for the "differentiability limit" in complex analysis

In summary: Differentiability in complex analysis involves some operations, which are not part of the topological structure of ##\mathbb{C}##.
V0ODO0CH1LD
In complex analysis differentiability for a function ##f## at a point ##z_0## in the interior of the domain of ##f## is defined as the existence of the limit
$$ \lim_{h\rightarrow{}0}\frac{f(z_0+h)-f(z_0)}{h}.$$
But why are the possible ##z_0##'s in the closure of the domain of the original function? And what are the possible "candidates" for this limit?

I know that for a function ##f:A\rightarrow{}B##, where the domain ##A## is a subset of some topological space ##X## and the image ##B## is a subset of some other topological space ##Y##, the limit as ##x## approaches ##x_0## of ##f(x)## equals some ##L##, i.e.
$$ \lim_{x\rightarrow{}x_0}f(x)=L, $$
if and only if for all neighborhoods ##V## of ##L## there exists a neighborhood ##U## of ##x_0## such that ##f(U\cap{}A-\{x_0\})\subseteq{}V\cap{}B##.

In this case ##x_0## is required to be a limit point of ##A## and ##L## in the closure of ##B##.

So are the allowed ##z_0##'s in the expression above limit points of something (i.e. is the interior of the domain of the original function equal to the set of limit points of something)? And are the allowed values of the "differentiability limit" in the closure of something else?

I know the definition of limits for a function only requires that both the domain and the image be subsets of some topological spaces, which means that I could define limits for complex-valued functions of a complex variable just from the topological structure of ##\mathbb{C}##. However, differentiability requires more structure, right? From the reverse perspective, differentiability in complex analysis involves some operations, which are not part of the topological structure of ##\mathbb{C}##. So does my question about the allowed values for the "differentiability limit" even make sense?

Physics news on Phys.org
Complex derivatives are defined in the same way as real derivatives using Newton quotients. The only difference is that one uses real arithmetic while the other uses complex arithmetic.

V0ODO0CH1LD said:
In complex analysis differentiability for a function ##f## at a point ##z_0## in the interior of the domain of ##f## is defined as the existence of the limit
$$ \lim_{h\rightarrow{}0}\frac{f(z_0+h)-f(z_0)}{h}.$$
But why are the possible ##z_0##'s in the closure of the domain of the original function? And what are the possible "candidates" for this limit?
This makes no sense. You can take a limit as you approach a point in the closure of the domain but in order to find the derivative, [tex]f(z_0)[/tex] itself must exist so [tex]z_0[/tex] must be in the domain of f, not just in its closure.

As HallsofIvy said, in the definition of a derivative, the limit is special kind of limit because the function involved (which is [itex] \frac{ f(z0 + h) - f(z_0)}{h} [/itex] ) contains the term [itex] f(z_0) [/itex] explicitly.

In contrast to taking a limit of [itex] f(z) [/itex] , the function used in the definition of the derivative requires that [itex] f(z_0) [/itex] exists. This is by the convention that the existence of a limit of a function that's defined in terms of several parts implies the parts themselves exist.

For example the existence of [itex] lim_{h \rightarrow a}\ (g(b + h) + g(c) + k) [/itex] implies that [itex] a,b,g(c), k [/itex] exist. It does not imply that [itex] g(b+h) [/itex] exists for all values of [itex] h [/itex].

V0ODO0CH1LD said:
I know the definition of limits for a function only requires that both the domain and the image be subsets of some topological spaces, which means that I could define limits for complex-valued functions of a complex variable just from the topological structure of ##\mathbb{C}##. However, differentiability requires more structure, right? From the reverse perspective, differentiability in complex analysis involves some operations, which are not part of the topological structure of ##\mathbb{C}##. So does my question about the allowed values for the "differentiability limit" even make sense?

But notice that division in the Real case, or in the ## \mathbb R^n ## case is not part of the topological structure of ## \mathbb R^n## either. (though for n>1 we use the Euclidean n-norm), and this does not create any problem.

Related to Allowed values for the "differentiability limit" in complex analysis

1. What is the definition of "differentiability limit" in complex analysis?

The differentiability limit in complex analysis refers to the limit of a function's derivative as the independent variable approaches a specific point in the complex plane. It is a measure of how well a function can be approximated by a linear function at a particular point.

2. What are the allowed values for the differentiability limit in complex analysis?

The allowed values for the differentiability limit in complex analysis are complex numbers. These numbers can have both real and imaginary components and represent the slope and direction of the tangent line to the function at a specific point.

3. How is the differentiability limit used in complex analysis?

The differentiability limit is used to determine if a function is differentiable at a particular point in the complex plane. If the limit exists and is equal to a complex number, then the function is differentiable at that point. It is also used to define the concept of analyticity, which is a key property of functions in complex analysis.

4. Are there any restrictions on the values of the differentiability limit in complex analysis?

Yes, there are restrictions on the values of the differentiability limit in complex analysis. The limit must exist and be a finite complex number in order for a function to be considered differentiable at a point. Additionally, the limit must be the same regardless of the direction from which the independent variable approaches the point.

5. Can the differentiability limit in complex analysis have multiple values?

No, the differentiability limit in complex analysis can only have one value at a specific point. If the limit has multiple values, then the function is not considered differentiable at that point. However, a function may have differentiability limits with different values at different points in the complex plane.