Also, what is the final answer that you got using Maple?

In summary: How did you get the following?4. Solve the third with a table... I got= 3*sqrt(1+x^2) + 9*ln(x+ sqrt(1+x^2))/2 + CI used #3 from the table: ∫(du)/(√(a^2 + u^2)) = ln(u + √(a^2 + u^2) +CI substituted 1 for a and x for u, giving me:∫dx/(√(1+x^2)) = ln(x + √(1+x^2)) + CThen I multiplied by 5 to account for the original equation having a coefficient of 5
Null_

Homework Statement

Find ∫(x^2+x+5)/√(x^2+1)dx using a table of integrals

Homework Equations

These are the forms I chose to use:
#1 ∫(u^2)/(√(u^2 + a^2))du = (u/2)*(√(a^2 + u^2)) - (a^2/2)(ln(u+√(a^2 + u^2) + C

and

#3 ∫(du)/(√(a^2 + u^2)) = ln(u + √(a^2 + u^2) +C

The Attempt at a Solution

I won't show every step, but here's what I did:

1. Split the single integral up into three separate integrals.
2. For the first, I let u=x and a=1. I then plugged into the formula and got...
(x/2)*√(1+x^2)-(1/2)*ln(x+√(1+x^2)) + C
3. Solve the second with just a u substitution...
= √(x^2 + 1) + C
4. Solve the third with a table... I got
= 3*√(1+x^2) + 9*ln(x+ √(1+x^2))/2 + CI'm pretty sure that I used the correct integrations from the table, and I can't seem to see where I went wrong. I know the final answer just by using Maple. I think I can also solve it without using a table. I would use trig to do that, but that's not what this homework is testing us on.

I sincerely apologize for my lack of LaTex use...
If you want to know more of the steps I took, just say so and I will post a picture of my work.

Thanks

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Null_ said:

Homework Statement

Find the integral of (x^2+x+5)/sqrt(x^2+1)dx using a table of integrals

Homework Equations

These are the forms I chose to use:
#1 Integral(u^2)/(sqrt(u^2 + a^2))du = (u/2)*(sqrt(a^2 + u^2)) - (a^2/2)(ln(u+sqrt(a^2 + u^2) + C

and

#3 Integral (du)/(sqrt(a^2 + u^2)) = ln(u + sqrt(a^2 + u^2) +C

The Attempt at a Solution

I won't show every step, but here's what I did:

1. Split the single integral up into three separate integrals.
What were the three parts before you started into the integrating?

2. For the first, I let u=x and a=1. I then plugged into the formula and got...
(x/2)*sqrt(1+x^2)-(1/2)*ln(x+sqrt(1+x^2)) + C
3. Solve the second with just a u substitution...
= sqrt(x^2 + 1) + C
= 3*sqrt(1+x^2) + 9*ln(x+ sqrt(1+x^2))/2 + C

I'm pretty sure that I used the correct integrations from the table, and I can't seem to see where I went wrong. I know the final answer just by using Maple. I think I can also solve it without using a table. I would use trig to do that, but that's not what this homework is testing us on.

I sincerely apologize for my lack of LaTex use.

If you want to know more of the steps I took, just say so and I will post them.

Thanks
I would try splitting the integrand up as follows:

[tex] \frac{x^2+x+5}{\sqrt{x^2+1}}=\frac{x^2+1+x+4}{\sqrt{x^2+1}}[/tex]
[tex]=\frac{x^2+1}{\sqrt{x^2+1}}+\frac{x}{\sqrt{x^2+1}}+\frac{4}{\sqrt{x^2+1}}[/tex]

I split it into:
∫ (x^2)/(√(x^2+1)) dx + ∫ x/(√(x^2+1)) dx + 5∫dx/√(x^2+1)

While I understand why you split it up as you did, the first part is not listed in the tables of my book (http://teachers.sduhsd.net/abrown/Classes/CalculusC/IntegralTablesStewart.pdf ).

Last edited by a moderator:
For the records, the problem is more difficult than simply coputing the integral all by itself by applying the substitution [itex] x=\sinh t [/itex]. It makes no sense to use integral tables when the results can be reached with minimum math knowledge...But, hey, not all teachers are smart.

Yeah, I can solve it without using integration with tables by using the substitution you suggested. It was due this morning, so I've already gotten the answer "right," but I'd still really like to know how to solve it using tables and why my choices didn't work.

Null_ said:
I split it into:
∫ (x^2)/(√(x^2+1)) dx + ∫ x/(√(x^2+1)) dx + 5∫dx/√(x^2+1)

While I understand why you split it up as you did, the first part is not listed in the tables of my book (http://teachers.sduhsd.net/abrown/Classes/CalculusC/IntegralTablesStewart.pdf ).

Thanks for including a link to those integral tables.

I left [tex] \frac{x^2+1}{\sqrt{x^2+1}}[/tex] unsimplified. It is, of course, equal to [tex] \sqrt{x^2+1}[/tex], and form 21 works for this. The way you broke up the integrand should have worked fine.

I'm curious as to how you got your result for [tex] \int{{1}\over{\sqrt{x^2+1}}}\,dx\,.[/tex]

BTW, What is the answer you were trying to match? - the one from Maple.

Last edited by a moderator:
The answer for the problem (it is an online problem and the key is already up) is:
(1/2)*x*√(x^2+1) + √(x^2+1) + (9/2)*ln(x+√(x^2+1))

I'm still having a hard time seeing why my answer wasn't right. I've re-done it five times and ended up with the same answer.

The answer from maple uses sinh^-1(x), so it must have done the substitution method.

Null_ said:
The answer for the problem (it is an online problem and the key is already up) is:
(1/2)*x*√(x^2+1) + √(x^2+1) + (9/2)*ln(x+√(x^2+1))
I get this answer using the tables.

I'm still having a hard time seeing why my answer wasn't right. I've re-done it five times and ended up with the same answer.

The answer from maple uses sinh^-1(x), so it must have done the substitution method.
BTW: [tex]sinh^{-1}(x)=\ln\left(x+\sqrt{x^2+1}\right)[/tex]

∫(du)/(√(a^2 + u^2)) = ln(u + √(a^2 + u^2) +C

So, [tex]\int \frac{dx}{\sqrt{x^2+1}}=\ln\left(x+\sqrt{x^2+1}\right)+C\,.[/tex]

How did you get the following?
= 3*sqrt(1+x^2) + 9*ln(x+ sqrt(1+x^2))/2 + C

FAQ: Also, what is the final answer that you got using Maple?

What is integration with tables?

Integration with tables refers to the process of combining data from multiple tables into a single, cohesive dataset. This can involve linking tables together using common data points or using mathematical operations to aggregate data.

Why is integration with tables important in scientific research?

Integration with tables allows scientists to analyze and interpret complex datasets more efficiently. It also allows for the comparison of data from different sources, which can lead to new insights and discoveries.

What are some common tools used for integrating tables?

There are several tools that can be used for integrating tables, including database management systems (such as SQL), spreadsheet software (like Microsoft Excel), and specialized data integration software.

What are some challenges of integrating tables?

The main challenge of integrating tables is ensuring the accuracy and consistency of the data being integrated. This can be difficult when dealing with large and complex datasets from different sources. Another challenge is managing and maintaining the integrated dataset over time.

What are some best practices for integrating tables?

Some best practices for integrating tables include carefully planning the integration process, ensuring data quality and consistency, documenting the integration steps, and regularly reviewing and updating the integrated dataset.