Alternative Derivation of sin integral

In summary, when evaluating the integral ∫sin(nπx/L)dx from 0 to L, the result is (L/nπ)[1-(-1)^n]. This can be found by noticing that when n is even, cos(nπ) = 1 and when n is odd, cos(nπ) = -1. This technique can also be used for similar integrals like ∫sin^2(nπx/L)dx and ∫xsin(nπx/L).
saybrook1

Homework Statement

Hi guys; I'm just dealing with Fourier series and they evaluate integrals such as ∫sin(nπx/L)dx from 0 to L as (L/nπ)[1-(-1)^n]. Can someone please tell me how to get to this conclusion or point me in the direction of a resource that will show me? Additionally I need to solve similar integrals like ∫sin^2(nπx/L)dx and ∫xsin(nπx/L) so I really need to know the technique. Thanks in advance.

Homework Equations

∫sin(nπx/L)dx from 0 to L = (L/nπ)[1-(-1)^n]

The Attempt at a Solution

I would traditionally evaluate ∫sin(nπx/L)dx from 0 to L as [L-Lcos(nπ)]/nπ

Physics news on Phys.org
saybrook1 said:

Homework Statement

Hi guys; I'm just dealing with Fourier series and they evaluate integrals such as ∫sin(nπx/L)dx from 0 to L as (L/nπ)[1-(-1)^n]. Can someone please tell me how to get to this conclusion or point me in the direction of a resource that will show me? Additionally I need to solve similar integrals like ∫sin^2(nπx/L)dx and ∫xsin(nπx/L) so I really need to know the technique. Thanks in advance.

Homework Equations

So you have ##\frac{L}{n\pi}(1-\cos(n\pi))##. How does ##\cos(n\pi)## compare with ##(-1)^n##?

saybrook1 said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

If n is even, then cos(nπ) = 1.

If n is odd, then cos(nπ) = -1.

I see now! Thank you LCKurtz and SammyS, I appreciate the help.

Related to Alternative Derivation of sin integral

Q: What is an alternative derivation of the sin integral?

An alternative derivation of the sin integral is a different method of solving or finding the value of the integral of the sine function. This can involve using other mathematical techniques or concepts to arrive at the same solution.

Q: Why would someone use an alternative derivation of the sin integral?

Using an alternative derivation of the sin integral can provide a deeper understanding of the mathematical concepts involved and can also showcase the versatility of different mathematical methods. It can also be useful in cases where the traditional method of solving the integral is not feasible or does not yield accurate results.

Q: What are some common alternative derivations of the sin integral?

Some common alternative derivations of the sin integral include using geometric interpretations, trigonometric identities, and substitution techniques. Other methods may involve using complex numbers, series expansions, or calculus concepts such as integration by parts or partial fractions.

Q: Is there a "best" alternative derivation of the sin integral?

There is no one "best" alternative derivation of the sin integral as different methods may be more suitable for different situations or individuals. It ultimately depends on the specific problem at hand and the comfort level and understanding of the individual with different mathematical techniques.

Q: Are there any drawbacks to using an alternative derivation of the sin integral?

One potential drawback of using an alternative derivation of the sin integral is that it may be more time-consuming or complex compared to the traditional method. Additionally, some alternative methods may not be applicable to all types of integrals or may require a deeper understanding of certain mathematical concepts. It is important to carefully consider the advantages and disadvantages of each method before deciding on an alternative derivation.