Alternative electricity generation for aircraft

In summary: So the battery still needs to provide power eventually, even if the capacitor bank is the source of that power for a while.
renewable
Hello,

so today i was thinking about alternative ways to provide electricity to a motor in a fixed wing aircraft.
Ideas:
1. Use thermoelectrics. They would generate the most voltage around the engine, so maybe they would only be placed here, or all over the aircraft. Advantage: unlike solar power, thermoelectics generate electrical energy from a temperature gradient. The outside of an airplane is often cold at high altitudes, and the motor is hot. They are not dependent on sunlight energy.
2. Motor-generator cycle. The back of the driver shaft from the propulsion motor would be connected to a generator, which would produce energy to charge capacitors that would then power the motor. I'm not sure that weight of this generator can be justified by it's energy production.
A demonstration of idea 2 can be found here

So what do you think? Are these ideas feasible?

Also 1st post on this forum :) hello everyone. not sure if this should be in electrical engineering.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF;
Is the idea that the engine itself should be electric rather than petroleum powered?
(That seems to be the case from the example video and the second option.)

If so then what you have proposed both have serious limitations due to the law of conservation of energy. There are a lot of hoax and devices on YouTube - do not believe everything you see.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply Simon. I didnt make myself clear. Yes the engine would be electric. The objective of my OP was not to suggest a new type of electric motor, just new ways of powering one.

Wow I worded option 2 terribly! My intention isn't to use the motor-generator as the only source of electricity: that breaks the law of the coservation of energy. It would be used with other methods of producing electric energy such as option 1 or solar power.

Right - that's why I amended my point to "limitations".

In #2, the generator takes it's power from the engine and the engine takes it's power from the batteries (say) ... so all it does is move energy in a lossy way from the batteries to the capacitors ... i.e. it's just another drain on the batteries in addition to the engine.

In #1, the idea seems to be to recover waste heat - which is more feasable.
Clearly the engine will not generate enough heat to run itself this way, but you could eek out a little bit.
I think this is the one where the weight may be prohibitive.

The big problem with electric aircraft is the energy stored vs storage weight.

Okay, maybe #2 can't work. I do believe that thermoelectrics could help electric aircraft, especially if they could be used in the structure of the motor housing - not sure if this is possible though. Thanks Simon.

Yeah - if you imagine a motor in the nose turning a prop, you could plate the outside of the motor with TEGs then the skin of the aircraft goes on top of that. After that is is a matter of figuring the thermal gradient and TEG efficiency vs the extra weight.

For that matter you could increase the range by plating the outer hull with solar cells too couldn't you?
Maybe beam energy to aircraft (microwaves?)

The devil is in the details.

BTW: notice that if you take the example video at face value, all that's happened is that the capacitor bank has been charged from the battery bank via a lossy process.

Related to Alternative electricity generation for aircraft

1. What are some alternative methods for generating electricity for aircraft?

Some alternative methods for generating electricity for aircraft include solar power, fuel cells, and wind power. Solar power involves using photovoltaic cells to convert sunlight into electricity, while fuel cells use a chemical reaction to produce electricity. Wind power utilizes turbines to generate electricity from the wind's kinetic energy.

2. How do these alternative methods compare to traditional methods of electricity generation for aircraft?

Alternative methods of electricity generation for aircraft are generally considered more environmentally friendly and sustainable compared to traditional methods such as using jet fuel. They also have the potential to reduce operating costs and decrease dependence on fossil fuels.

3. What are some challenges associated with implementing alternative electricity generation for aircraft?

Some challenges include the high upfront costs of implementing new technology, the need for extensive testing and certification, and the limited energy output compared to traditional methods. Additionally, infrastructure and regulations may need to be developed and adapted to support alternative methods.

4. Are there any aircraft currently using alternative methods of electricity generation?

Yes, there are some aircraft that currently use alternative methods of electricity generation. For example, the Solar Impulse 2 is a solar-powered aircraft that completed a round-the-world flight in 2016. Additionally, some commercial airlines have started to incorporate biofuels into their fuel mix.

5. What is the potential for alternative electricity generation in the future of aviation?

The potential for alternative electricity generation in aviation is significant and continues to be explored and developed by scientists and engineers. As technology advances and becomes more efficient and cost-effective, it is likely that we will see a shift towards more sustainable methods of electricity generation for aircraft in the future.