Alternative path to taking roots of both sides of equation

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of taking the square root of both sides of an inequality or equation by multiplying each side by numbers with negative rational exponents. The participants use several examples to demonstrate their understanding and also mention the importance of considering the graphs of the functions involved. They also explore whether it is possible to prove that the square root of a number is greater than the square root of another number by using the fact that the square root function is strictly increasing. However, they conclude that this is a circular argument and provide an alternative proof using the properties of the function.
ArmanZ
The full question is: "How can we take square root of both sides of an inequality or equation just by multiplying each side by numbers with negative rational exponents". I will include several examples to explain how I think about it.
1)a=b, a^(-0.5)*a=b*a^(-0.5) (but a^(-0.5)=b^(-0.5)) then a^(-0.5)*a=b*b^(-0.5) which is sqrt(a)=sqrt(b)

2)a>0 b>0
a>b
a^(-0.5)*a>b*a^(-0.5) b^(-0.5)*a>b^0.5 ?
a^(0.5)=b*a^(-0.5)? (Trying to prove that sqrt(a)>sqrt(b))

3)x^2=2.5
x^(-1)*x^2=2.5*2.5^(-0.5) (2.5^(-0.5)=x^(-1))
x=sqrt(2.5)
Which is incorrect. Because the true solution is sqrt(x^2)=sqrt(2.5) then |x|=sqrt(2.5) and x1=+sqrt(2.5), x2=-sqrt(2.5)

(The question has similarities with this one https://www.physicsforums.com/threa...-equation-and-inequality.823960/#post-5174108)

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Is what I am doing possible?

Hello Arman,

Would it help you to draw some graphs ? The graph for the function ##f(x) = \sqrt x## exists only in the ##f \ge 0 \ {\rm and} \ x \ge 0 ## quadrant. But the graph of ##g(x) = x^2 ## exists in the upper half of the x, g plane. This last one should help you find out why your first step in 3. is a glitch ...

BvU said:
Hello Arman,

Would it help you to draw some graphs ? The graph for the function ##f(x) = \sqrt x## exists only in the ##f \ge 0 \ {\rm and} \ x \ge 0 ## quadrant. But the graph of ##g(x) = x^2 ## exists in the upper half of the x, g plane. This last one should help you find out why your first step in 3. is a glitch ...

Hi,
I think that is because I lost one solution when dividing by x

I still don't understand 2) it should be true that sqrt(a)>sqrt(b) because it is monotonically increasing

I think that is because I lost one solution when dividing by x
exactly.

it should be true that sqrt(a)>sqrt(b) because it is monotonically increasing
I don't think you can prove ##a > b \Rightarrow \sqrt a > \sqrt b\ (a>b>0)## this way: it's a bit circular.

With a bit of liberty, I would do $$ \Bigl ( a> 0 \Rightarrow \sqrt a > 0 \ \& \ b> 0 \Rightarrow \sqrt b > 0 \Bigr ) \Rightarrow \ \sqrt a + \sqrt b > 0 $$ And then use this in
$$ \Biggl ( a - b > 0 \ \& \ a - b = \left ( \sqrt {\mathstrut a} - \sqrt {\mathstrut b} \right ) \left ( \sqrt {\mathstrut a} + \sqrt {\mathstrut b} \right ) \Biggr )
\ \ \Rightarrow \ \ \sqrt {\mathstrut a} - \sqrt {\mathstrut b} > 0 $$

Likes ArmanZ
For ##a>b>0,## ##\sqrt{a}>\sqrt{b}## is a trivial implication for ##y=\sqrt{x}## is a strictly increasing function.

tommyxu3 said:
For ##a>b>0,## ##\sqrt{a}>\sqrt{b}## is a trivial implication for ##y=\sqrt{x}## is a strictly increasing function.
Correct me if I am wrong, but I think your answer is a bit off topic. Anyway thanks for your reply!

It may be another way to prove ##a>b>0\Rightarrow \sqrt{a}>\sqrt{b}## using the increase of ##y=\sqrt{x}.##
Let ##f(x)=\sqrt{x},## then ##f(0)=0.## Besides, ##f'(x)=\frac{1}{2\sqrt{x}},## which is always positive when ##x> 0.## As a result, ##f(x)## is a strictly increasing function, so ##a>b>0\Rightarrow \sqrt{a}>\sqrt{b}## is correct.

Likes ArmanZ

Related to Alternative path to taking roots of both sides of equation

1. What is the alternative path to taking roots of both sides of an equation?

The alternative path to taking roots of both sides of an equation is to raise both sides to a power that is the reciprocal of the root. For example, if the original equation is √x = 2, the alternative path would be to raise both sides to the power of 2, resulting in x = 4.

2. When should the alternative path be used in solving an equation?

The alternative path should be used when the original equation involves a root (such as square root or cube root) and there is no other way to isolate the variable. It can also be used when simplifying complex expressions involving roots.

3. What are the advantages of using the alternative path?

The main advantage of using the alternative path is that it simplifies the equation and makes it easier to solve. It also helps to avoid negative or imaginary solutions that may arise when taking roots of both sides.

4. Are there any limitations to using the alternative path?

Yes, there are limitations to using the alternative path. It can only be used when the original equation involves a single root. If there are multiple roots, the alternative path will not work.

5. Can the alternative path be used for all types of equations?

No, the alternative path can only be used for equations involving roots. It cannot be used for exponential equations or trigonometric equations.