Alternative: physicists working in the BayArea/Tech Valley?

• Physics
  • Thread starter Mishra
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physicists
In summary, the conversation discusses the individual's decision to pursue an academic career in experimental physics, and the challenges they faced in terms of low pay and limited job opportunities. They mention considering working in the industry and the potential opportunities in the Bay Area for engineers. They also inquire about other options besides computer sciences and seek advice from other physicists in the forum. The conversation ends with one participant sharing their personal experience as a PhD in physics living in the Bay Area.
Mishra
Hi all,

I am 27yo with a Msc in experimental physics. My goal was to pursue an academic career (PhD, postdoc etc...) in experimental physics. After some investigation I realize it might not be the best option: PhD offers I received would basically set me bellow the poverty line for 4years and every postdocs I met (from EU and USA) told me that landing a position was random and unlikely (especially since I am a little older than average and not that well "connected"). This is a very well known fact which I choose to ignore until now... So now I really have to consider some other options, such as working in the industry.

Turns out I am in the Bay Area for a few months and I see that a lot of companies have some cool tech projects too, and they seem to employ engineers by the thousands (although not physicists ?). The Bay Area itself is nice and I could see myself living there! I am not a data scientist but I might as well try before going back to EU and start my PhD.

I'd like to know if there are physicists in the forum working in this area that I could talk to ?
Are there a lot of options besides computer sciences ?
In all generality would you recommend doing a PhD for the long run or is it something they don't need (I can't do a PhD just for the sake of it)?

Any insights and advice would be very welcomed!

VM

Physics news on Phys.org
Living in the other hemisphere, I'm too far away from the Bay Area, but, being PhD in theoretical physics, I'm surely quite close to CS.
Literally, I'm up to my neck in it. And I like it
Certainly, I've been enjoying solving problems as long as remember myself. But CS gives me more than enjoyment - right now - it feeds me.

I often have jobs requiring many skills: CS, Physics, Statistics, Economics, even Linguistics.
So, do not hesitate: the more you know, the more confident you feel.

I have a PhD in physics and live in the Bay Area. Please feel free to message me directly.

Mishra said:
The Bay Area itself is nice and I could see myself living there!
Keep in mind that the cost of living is quite high here, and it can be very crowded in places. That said, it is a good place to live if you can find work that you enjoy. :smile:

Related to Alternative: physicists working in the BayArea/Tech Valley?

1. What is the Bay Area/Tech Valley and why is it significant for physicists?

The Bay Area/Tech Valley is a region in Northern California that is known for its concentration of high-tech companies and research institutions. It is significant for physicists because it offers a wealth of opportunities for collaboration, funding, and cutting-edge research in various fields, including physics.

2. How does the Bay Area/Tech Valley support alternative approaches in physics?

The Bay Area/Tech Valley is home to a diverse community of physicists, including those who work on alternative approaches to understanding the universe. This community is supported by various institutions, such as universities, research centers, and private companies, that provide resources and funding for alternative research in physics.

3. What are some examples of alternative approaches being pursued by physicists in the Bay Area/Tech Valley?

Some examples of alternative approaches being pursued by physicists in the Bay Area/Tech Valley include string theory, loop quantum gravity, and emergent spacetime theories. These approaches seek to go beyond the traditional frameworks of physics and offer new insights into the fundamental nature of reality.

4. What are the benefits of working as a physicist in the Bay Area/Tech Valley?

Working as a physicist in the Bay Area/Tech Valley offers numerous benefits, including access to state-of-the-art facilities and equipment, opportunities for collaboration with other top physicists, and exposure to cutting-edge research in a variety of fields. Additionally, the region offers a high quality of life and a thriving community of scientists and technologists.

5. How can I get involved in the alternative physics community in the Bay Area/Tech Valley?

If you are interested in getting involved in the alternative physics community in the Bay Area/Tech Valley, you can attend conferences and seminars, join research groups or organizations, and network with other physicists in the area. You can also look for job opportunities at universities or companies that specialize in alternative physics research.