Alternator for thermal generator (Coal-fired generator)

In summary, Haewigh is working on a project involving a coal fired generator and is using a 2 pole stator and 5 former to make a 1 pole, single phase alternator. They have questions about calculating the power rating of the alternator/generator, the relationship between torque, RPM, and voltage, and whether the alternator works like a dynamo in generating voltage proportional to RPM. The answers are provided as follows: the alternator operates at 3000 RPM to generate a 240V output, the voltage is proportional to the RPM multiplied by the rotor field strength, and maximum power is determined by the AC current and output voltage. The torque is proportional to the power generated, as RPM is fixed to generate
Haewigh
I am doing a project on coal fired generator and I don't really
know how my Alternator will work. I'm currently trying to use a
2 pole stator, 5 former making 1 pole, single phase alternator.
These are the problems :
how do I calculate/obtain the power rating of my alternator/
generator
does the Alternator work like the dynamo that generate voltage
proportional to the rpm
does a 50Hz alternator operate at 3000rpm to generate 240v
relationship between torque, rpm and voltage

Engineering news on Phys.org
Haewigh, welcome to PF.
Sorry for the delay in answering your questions.

Haewigh said:
“does a 50Hz alternator operate at 3000rpm
Yes. An alternator produces a frequency directly determined by shaft RPM.

Haewigh said:
to generate 240v, does the Alternator work like the dynamo that generate voltage proportional to the rpm
Yes. An alternator produces a voltage determined by RPM multiplied by rotor field strength.

So you will run the alternator at 3000 RPM to get a 3000 / 60 = 50Hz output.
You will need to adjust the DC field current to set the voltage at 240VAC (RMS).
Note that the world standard is now 230V AC, not 240VAC.
The DC field current passes through the slip-rings to the field winding on the rotor.

Haewigh said:
how do I calculate/obtain the power rating of my alternator/generator
The maximum power will then be the AC current generated, multiplied by the 240VAC output voltage.
The thickness and so the resistance of the wire in the alternator will decide the average AC current that can be safely generated. If you draw greater current then the windings will get hot and their insulation will probably fail.

Haewigh said:
relationship between torque, rpm and voltage
Power is torque multiplied by RPM. The torque will be proportional to power generated, since RPM is fixed to generate 50Hz.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alternator

Likes Haewigh

Related to Alternator for thermal generator (Coal-fired generator)

1. What is an alternator for a thermal generator?

An alternator for a thermal generator is a device that converts mechanical energy into electrical energy. It is responsible for generating electricity in coal-fired power plants by using the heat from burning coal to spin a turbine, which then turns the alternator to create electricity.

2. How does the alternator in a coal-fired generator work?

The alternator in a coal-fired generator works by using electromagnetic induction. The spinning turbine causes a magnetic field to rotate around the stator, which is a stationary part of the alternator. This rotating magnetic field then induces an electrical current in the stator, which is then collected and distributed as electricity.

3. What are the main components of an alternator for a thermal generator?

The main components of an alternator for a thermal generator include the stator, rotor, exciter, and cooling system. The stator is the stationary part of the alternator that contains the conductors and produces the electrical output. The rotor is the rotating part of the alternator that creates the magnetic field. The exciter is a small generator that provides power to the rotor to maintain the magnetic field. The cooling system is responsible for maintaining the correct operating temperature of the alternator.

4. How efficient is an alternator for a thermal generator?

The efficiency of an alternator for a thermal generator can vary depending on the design and maintenance of the generator. On average, coal-fired generators have an efficiency of around 33%, meaning that one-third of the energy produced by burning coal is converted into electricity. However, newer technology and better maintenance practices have improved the efficiency of thermal generators in recent years.

5. What are some common problems with alternators in coal-fired generators?

Some common problems with alternators in coal-fired generators include insulation breakdown, bearing failures, and cooling system issues. Insulation breakdown can lead to short circuits and failures in the generator. Bearing failures can cause the rotor to become unbalanced and damage the stator. Cooling system issues can lead to overheating and decreased efficiency. Proper maintenance and regular inspections can help identify and prevent these issues.