Aluminium Casting: Bonding & Issues | 65 Characters

In summary, the person is seeking help for re-profiling an intake runner on an aluminium cylinder head. They want to avoid using epoxy resin and instead plan on filling the area with more aluminium from another casting. They are concerned about bonding and potential issues such as contamination or air pockets. However, it is not recommended as the molten aluminium will freeze upon contact and may cause an explosion. Weld material can be used instead to build up and shape the area.
Craig.Jones
Hi all, I am after some materials based help please.

Im trying to re-profile part of an intake runner on an aluminium cylinder head. Wanting longevity, I've opted against the usual route of using epoxy resin to build up a specific area.
Basically i would like to try and fill the section (or rather part of it) with more aluminium.

Now, to eliminate any likeness issues with grade/alloy type, I plan on using a sample taken from another casting as the filler.
My question is this: If I pour the molten aluminium alloy into the area of work, which will be at room temperature will it bond with the existing casting? or is it likely to just pool and soldify without bonding with the aluminium ibelow it?

To put it in perspective, the quantity we are talking would be approx. half an egg cup.

Can anyone envisage any other issues? contamination? air pockets?

Any information would be greatly recieved/comments.

Engineering news on Phys.org
It is not going to work. The molten Al will freeze instantly upon contact with the cold metal. Then just pray that there is no moisture present, a molten Al explosion could result. This not recommended.

I agree, it's not going to stick. You can build up the area with weld material and then shape it/cut it back to the proper profile.

Related to Aluminium Casting: Bonding & Issues | 65 Characters

What is aluminium casting?

Aluminium casting is a manufacturing process where liquid aluminium is poured into a mold and allowed to solidify to create a desired shape or product.

What is bonding in aluminium casting?

Bonding in aluminium casting refers to the process of joining two or more pieces of aluminium together using heat, pressure, or adhesive materials.

What are some common issues with aluminium casting?

Some common issues with aluminium casting include porosity, shrinkage, and cracking. These can be caused by factors such as improper mold design, inadequate cooling, or poor quality control.

How can porosity in aluminium castings be prevented?

Porosity in aluminium castings can be prevented by ensuring proper design and placement of vents in the mold, using high-quality alloys, and controlling the temperature and pressure during the casting process.

What are some applications of aluminium casting?

Aluminium casting is commonly used in the production of automotive parts, aerospace components, household appliances, and various industrial products. It is also used in art and sculpture, as well as in the manufacturing of cookware and utensils.