Aluminum Sq Tube Limits for Camera Jib Arm: Stress & Load Charts

In summary, the conversation is about building a camera jib arm using a 1.5" square aluminum tube, with a pivot point in the middle. The person is looking for stress and load charts for the aluminum tubing, as well as information on its weight limits to ensure it does not bend or break. They also mention the slight downward bow of the assembled tubing and want to know how close it is to breaking. They can find resources for this information by searching online for "aluminum square tube tables."
Robert bobson
Hi -

I hope this is the correct forum for this question...

I'm building a camera jib arm - essentially a 1.5" sq aluminum tube, 15' long, with a pivot point in the "middle". A camera goes on one end, and counter weights on the other. I'd like to know the limits of the aluminum so it doesn't eventually bend or break.

the tubing is 3/16" wall, 1.5" OD - and the total weight of camera, counterweight and the tubes themselves is about 45 pounds.

Can someone direct me to stress and/or load charts for aluminum sq tubing?

When assembled, the tubing has a slight downward bow. I just want to know how close it is to breaking.

thanks!

Engineering news on Phys.org
There are many online sources. Search for "aluminum square tube tables"

Related to Aluminum Sq Tube Limits for Camera Jib Arm: Stress & Load Charts

1. What are the standard size limits for aluminum square tubes?

The standard size limits for aluminum square tubes vary depending on the specific grade of aluminum being used. However, most aluminum square tubes have a maximum width of 6 inches and a maximum length of 25 feet.

2. What is the maximum weight capacity of aluminum square tubes?

The maximum weight capacity of aluminum square tubes also depends on the grade of aluminum used, as well as the wall thickness of the tube. On average, aluminum square tubes can handle weight capacities ranging from 500-800 pounds.

3. What are the temperature limits for aluminum square tubes?

Aluminum square tubes have a wide temperature range, with most grades being able to withstand temperatures from -270°C to 260°C. However, it is important to check the specific grade of aluminum being used for its temperature limits.

4. Are there any design limitations for aluminum square tubes?

Yes, there are some design limitations to consider when using aluminum square tubes. For example, the sharp corners of the tubes can be difficult to weld, and the tubes may not be suitable for high-pressure applications due to their thin walls.

5. How do I determine the appropriate thickness for an aluminum square tube?

The appropriate thickness for an aluminum square tube depends on the intended use and weight capacity. Thicker walls can support heavier loads, but may also be heavier and more expensive. It is important to consult with a structural engineer or refer to design guidelines for specific thickness recommendations.