AM Demodulator: SSB -> AM; Op Amp?

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of AM demodulators in radio circuits, specifically in SSB (single sideband) radio. It is clarified that in order to recover the audio from a SSB signal, the original carrier must be present, and this is achieved through a beat frequency oscillator (BFO) and a product detector. Specialized chips such as the NE602 and SA612 can also be used for this purpose. The conversation ends with a reference to Scott Harden's plans and the 2011 ARRL Handbook for Radio Communications for further information.
Voltux
Greetings Physics Forums,

I'm reading up on Radio Circuits and studying for my General's Amateur Radio License and was learning about AM Demodulators.

I understand that in AM you can use a peak detector to get the modulated audio out however in SSB radio don't you have to double the signal so as to invert it to produce the AM and then demodulate it?

So seeing if the above is correct would it be possible to just input the SSB Signal into an Op-Amp in both the inverting and non-inverting inputs to end up with the AM signal?

Thanks for everyone's time, I appreciate it! :)

Respectfully,
Voltux

Engineering news on Phys.org
No. You cannot do that. You need the original carrier back to get the audio out of a SSB signal. In receivers this is called the BFO, or beat frequency oscillator.

The usual method of recovering SSB is to convert it to an intermediate frequency (say 14 MHz to 455 KHz) then pass it through a crystal filter at 455 KHz, then amplify it and then inject a 455 KHz local oscillator signal at a frequency corresponding to where the carrier would have been if this was an AM signal.

This is done with a product detector, which is a type of mixer. The oscillator used like this is a BFO. Beat Frequency Oscillator.

The output of this is audio which you then amplify and send to a speaker.

You may be able to use an opamp for some of this, but there are specialized chips like the NE602 and SA612 which work very well as product detectors and mixers.

vk6kro said:
The usual method of recovering SSB is to convert it to an intermediate frequency (say 14 MHz to 455 KHz) then pass it through a crystal filter at 455 KHz, then amplify it and then inject a 455 KHz local oscillator signal at a frequency corresponding to where the carrier would have been if this was an AM signal.

This is done with a product detector, which is a type of mixer. The oscillator used like this is a BFO. Beat Frequency Oscillator.

The output of this is audio which you then amplify and send to a speaker.

You may be able to use an opamp for some of this, but there are specialized chips like the NE602 and SA612 which work very well as product detectors and mixers.

Thanks! Consider my question solved. I'm following Scott Harden's plans for the SA612 and reading through the 2011 ARRL Handbook for Radio Communications as well. Just trying to get a block view I suppose of how a SSB Receiver would work as opposed to an AM.

http://www.swharden.com/blog/ - For those interested.

FAQ: AM Demodulator: SSB -> AM; Op Amp?

1. What is an AM demodulator?

An AM demodulator is a device that extracts the original information signal from an amplitude-modulated (AM) carrier wave. It is used to recover the audio or video signal from an AM radio or television broadcast.

2. How does an AM demodulator work?

An AM demodulator works by detecting the variations in the amplitude of the carrier wave and converting them back into the original signal. This is typically done using a diode or a demodulation circuit, which rectifies the carrier wave and filters out the high-frequency carrier leaving only the original signal.

3. What is the difference between SSB and AM?

SSB stands for single sideband, which is a type of AM modulation that only transmits one of the sidebands of the carrier wave. This reduces the bandwidth required for transmission. AM, on the other hand, transmits both sidebands, resulting in a wider bandwidth. SSB is more efficient and requires less power than AM, but it also requires a more complex demodulator to recover the signal.

4. What is an op amp and how is it used in an AM demodulator?

Op amp stands for operational amplifier, which is a type of electronic amplifier that amplifies the difference between two input signals. In an AM demodulator, an op amp is used to amplify and filter the demodulated signal, making it suitable for further processing or output to a speaker or display.

5. Can an AM demodulator be used for other types of modulation?

Yes, an AM demodulator can also be used to demodulate other types of amplitude-modulated signals, such as double sideband (DSB) and vestigial sideband (VSB). However, it may require different circuitry or adjustments to properly recover the original signal.