Am I changing the coordinates well?

• MHB
  • Thread starter Granger
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Coordinates
In summary: Thinking)Yes, I did! Thank you for helping me understand it better. I realized my mistake was substituting t=4 before applying the Leibniz rule. Thank you! In summary, the conversation discussed the exercise of calculating $F'(4)$ where $F:[1,+\infty[ \rightarrow \mathbb{R}$ and $V_t=${$(x,y,z) \in \mathbb{R}^3: 1\leq x^2+y^2\leq t, 0\leq z \leq 1, y >0$}. The conversation went on to simplify the integral using cylindrical coordinates and then applying Leibniz rule to get the
Granger
I have this exercise:

> $V_t=${$(x,y,z) \in \mathbb{R}^3: 1\leq x^2+y^2\leq t, 0\leq z \leq 1, y >0$}

>$F:[1,+\infty[ \rightarrow \mathbb{R}$ the function:

>$$\iiint_{V_t} \frac{e^{t(x^2+y^2)}}{x^2+y^2} \,dx\,dy\,dz$$

> Calculate $F'(4)$

Ok so the firs thing I did was to apply directly a change for cylindrical coordinates

I obtained this integral

$\int_{0}^{1} \int_{0}^{\pi} \int_{1}^{\sqrt{t}} \frac{e^{t\rho^2}}{\rho^2} \rho \,d\rho\,d\phi\,dz$

Simplifying and on this specific case ($t=4$)

$F(4)= \int_{0}^{1} \int_{0}^{\pi} \int_{1}^{2} \frac{e^{4\rho^2}}{\rho} \,d\rho\,d\phi\,dz$

For calculating $F'(4)$ I use Leibniz rule so I got the integral.

$F'(4)= \int_{0}^{1} \int_{0}^{\pi} \int_{1}^{2} e^{4\rho^2}{\rho} \,d\rho\,d\phi\,dz$

Solving the integral I got to

$F'(4) = \pi \int_{1}^{2} e^{4\rho^2}{\rho} \,d\rho = \frac{\pi}{8} (e^{16}-e^4)$

However there was some step on the integration that i did wrong because the answer should be:

$\frac{\pi}{8} (2e^{16}-e^4)$

I'm trying to figure out my mistake but I'm not getting it. Someone can please help me?

Physics news on Phys.org
GrangerObliviat said:
I have this exercise:

> $V_t=${$(x,y,z) \in \mathbb{R}^3: 1\leq x^2+y^2\leq t, 0\leq z \leq 1, y >0$}

>$F:[1,+\infty[ \rightarrow \mathbb{R}$ the function:

>$$\iiint_{V_t} \frac{e^{t(x^2+y^2)}}{x^2+y^2} \,dx\,dy\,dz$$

> Calculate $F'(4)$

Ok so the firs thing I did was to apply directly a change for cylindrical coordinates

I obtained this integral

$\int_{0}^{1} \int_{0}^{\pi} \int_{1}^{\sqrt{t}} \frac{e^{t\rho^2}}{\rho^2} \rho \,d\rho\,d\phi\,dz$

Simplifying and on this specific case ($t=4$)

$F(4)= \int_{0}^{1} \int_{0}^{\pi} \int_{1}^{2} \frac{e^{4\rho^2}}{\rho} \,d\rho\,d\phi\,dz$

For calculating $F'(4)$ I use Leibniz rule so I got the integral.

$F'(4)= \int_{0}^{1} \int_{0}^{\pi} \int_{1}^{2} e^{4\rho^2}{\rho} \,d\rho\,d\phi\,dz$

Solving the integral I got to

$F'(4) = \pi \int_{1}^{2} e^{4\rho^2}{\rho} \,d\rho = \frac{\pi}{8} (e^{16}-e^4)$

However there was some step on the integration that i did wrong because the answer should be:

$\frac{\pi}{8} (2e^{16}-e^4)$

I'm trying to figure out my mistake but I'm not getting it. Someone can please help me?

Hi GrangerObliviat! ;)

I'm afraid that Leibniz's rule has to be applied before substituting $t=4$.

And before applying it, let's simplify F(t) a bit first by changing the order of integration, so we're only left with the integral with respect to $\rho$. (Thinking)

I like Serena said:
Hi GrangerObliviat! ;)

I'm afraid that Leibniz's rule has to be applied before substituting $t=4$.

And before applying it, let's simplify F(t) a bit first by changing the order of integration, so we're only left with the integral with respect to $\rho$. (Thinking)

Hi!
I kind of did that so I ended up with $F'(t) = \frac{\pi}{2t} \int_{1}^{\sqrt{t}} 2t\rho e^{t\rho^2} \,d\rho$

And solving it and then making t=4 I get to the same thing :/

GrangerObliviat said:
Hi!
I kind of did that so I ended up with $F'(t) = \frac{\pi}{2t} \int_{1}^{\sqrt{t}} 2t\rho e^{t\rho^2} \,d\rho$

And solving it and then making t=4 I get to the same thing :/

Well... there's a couple of steps missing there... (Worried)

Leibniz integral rule states that:

\(\displaystyle \frac{\mathrm{d}}{\mathrm{d}t} \left (\int_{a(t)}^{b(t)} f(x,t)\,\mathrm{d}x \right )= \int_{a(t)}^{b(t)}\frac{ \partial f}{ \partial t}\,\mathrm{d}x \,+\, f\big(b(t),t\big)\cdot b'(t) \,-\, f\big(a(t),t \big)\cdot a'(t)\)

For starters, what did you get for $f(\rho, t)$? (Wondering)

I like Serena said:
Well... there's a couple of steps missing there... (Worried)

Leibniz integral rule states that:

\(\displaystyle \frac{\mathrm{d}}{\mathrm{d}t} \left (\int_{a(t)}^{b(t)} f(x,t)\,\mathrm{d}x \right )= \int_{a(t)}^{b(t)}\frac{ \partial f}{ \partial t}\,\mathrm{d}x \,+\, f\big(b(t),t\big)\cdot b'(t) \,-\, f\big(a(t),t \big)\cdot a'(t)\)

For starters, what did you get for $f(\rho, t)$? (Wondering)

I have $f(\rho,t) = \frac {e^{t\rho^2}}{\rho^2}$

GrangerObliviat said:
I have $f(\rho,t) = \frac {e^{t\rho^2}}{\rho^2}$

Let's see... we have:
$$F(t) = \int_{0}^{1} \int_{0}^{\pi} \int_{1}^{\sqrt{t}} \frac{e^{t\rho^2}}{\rho^2} \rho \,d\rho\,d\phi\,dz
= 1\cdot \pi \cdot \int_{1}^{\sqrt{t}} \frac{e^{t\rho^2}}{\rho^2} \rho\,d\rho
= \int_{1}^{\sqrt{t}} \frac{\pi e^{t\rho^2}}{\rho}\,d\rho
$$

Shouldn't that give us the following?
$$f(\rho, t) = \frac{\pi e^{t\rho^2}}{\rho}$$

I think that's what we should substitute in Leibniz integral rule.
What will that give us? (Wondering)

Yes right I misunderstood what you asked me yes that's the expression I have after all te simplification we talked about two posts ago :) But if we know apply the leibniz rule (derivating in order of t) and then integrate in order of x and then making t=4 I'm obtaining the same result :/

GrangerObliviat said:
Yes right I misunderstood what you asked me yes that's the expression I have after all te simplification we talked about two posts ago :) But if we know apply the leibniz rule (derivating in order of t) and then integrate in order of x and then making t=4 I'm obtaining the same result :/

Okay... let's go through this step by step... (Thinking)

Leibniz integration rule says:
$$F'(t) = \frac{\mathrm{d}}{\mathrm{d}t} \left (\int_{a(t)}^{b(t)} f(\rho,t)\,\mathrm{d}\rho \right )= \int_{a(t)}^{b(t)}\frac{ \partial f}{ \partial t}\,\mathrm{d}\rho \,+\, f\big(b(t),t\big)\cdot b'(t) \,-\, f\big(a(t),t \big)\cdot a'(t)$$
and we have:
$$f(\rho, t) = \frac{\pi e^{t\rho^2}}{\rho},\quad a(t)=1, \quad b(t)=\sqrt t$$
So:
\begin{aligned}F'(t) &= \int_{1}^{\sqrt t}\frac{ \partial}{ \partial t}\left(\frac{\pi e^{t\rho^2}}{\rho}\right)\,\mathrm{d}\rho
\,+\,\frac{\pi e^{t(\sqrt t)^2}}{\sqrt t}\cdot \frac 1{2\sqrt t} \,-\, f\big(a(t),t \big)\cdot 0 \\
&= \int_{1}^{\sqrt t} \frac{\pi e^{t\rho^2}\cdot \rho^2}{\rho}\,\mathrm{d}\rho\,+\,
\frac{\pi e^{t^2}}{2t} \\
&= \int_{1}^{\sqrt t} \pi e^{t\rho^2} \rho\,\mathrm{d}\rho\,+\, \frac{\pi e^{t^2}}{2t} \\
&= \frac{\pi e^{t\rho^2}}{2t}\Big|_{1}^{\sqrt t}\,+\, \frac{\pi e^{t^2}}{2t} \\
&= \frac{\pi e^{t^2}}{2t} \,-\, \frac{\pi e^{t}}{2t}\,+\, \frac{\pi e^{t^2}}{2t} \\
&= \frac{\pi e^{t^2}}{t} \,-\, \frac{\pi e^{t}}{2t} \\
\end{aligned}

Did you have that as well? (Wondering)

I like Serena said:
Okay... let's go through this step by step... (Thinking)

Leibniz integration rule says:
$$F'(t) = \frac{\mathrm{d}}{\mathrm{d}t} \left (\int_{a(t)}^{b(t)} f(\rho,t)\,\mathrm{d}\rho \right )= \int_{a(t)}^{b(t)}\frac{ \partial f}{ \partial t}\,\mathrm{d}\rho \,+\, f\big(b(t),t\big)\cdot b'(t) \,-\, f\big(a(t),t \big)\cdot a'(t)$$
and we have:
$$f(\rho, t) = \frac{\pi e^{t\rho^2}}{\rho},\quad a(t)=1, \quad b(1)=\sqrt t$$
So:
\begin{aligned}F'(t) &= \int_{1}^{\sqrt t}\frac{ \partial}{ \partial t}\left(\frac{\pi e^{t\rho^2}}{\rho}\right)\,\mathrm{d}\rho
\,+\,\frac{\pi e^{t(\sqrt t)^2}}{\sqrt t}\cdot \frac 1{2\sqrt t} \,-\, f\big(a(t),t \big)\cdot 0 \\
&= \int_{1}^{\sqrt t} \frac{\pi e^{t\rho^2}\cdot \rho^2}{\rho}\,\mathrm{d}\rho\,+\,
\frac{\pi e^{t^2}}{2t} \\
&= \int_{1}^{\sqrt t} \pi e^{t\rho^2} \rho\,\mathrm{d}\rho\,+\, \frac{\pi e^{t^2}}{2t} \\
&= \frac{\pi e^{t\rho^2}}{2t}\Big|_{1}^{\sqrt t}\,+\, \frac{\pi e^{t^2}}{2t} \\
&= \frac{\pi e^{t^2}}{2t} \,-\, \frac{\pi e^{t}}{2t}\,+\, \frac{\pi e^{t^2}}{2t} \\
&= \frac{\pi e^{t^2}}{t} \,-\, \frac{\pi e^{t}}{2t} \\
\end{aligned}

Did you have that as well? (Wondering)

I realized what I was doing wrong! I did not considered that we need to the extremes of integration when they depend on t applying the Leibniz Rule..

Thank you so much!

Related to Am I changing the coordinates well?

1. What are coordinates and why are they important in science?

Coordinates are numerical values that identify the position of a point in space. They are important in science because they allow for accurate measurements and precise location of objects or phenomena, which is crucial for conducting experiments and analyzing data.

2. How do I know if I am changing the coordinates correctly?

The best way to know if you are changing the coordinates correctly is by checking your work and comparing it to a reference point or using a GPS system. If your coordinates match the expected values, then you are changing them correctly.

3. What are the common mistakes when changing coordinates?

Some common mistakes when changing coordinates include inputting the wrong numerical values, using the wrong coordinate system, and forgetting to account for units of measurement. It is important to double-check your work and use the appropriate coordinate system for your specific task.

4. Can changing coordinates affect the accuracy of my data?

Yes, changing coordinates can affect the accuracy of your data if they are not done correctly. Any errors in the coordinates can lead to incorrect measurements and ultimately affect the overall accuracy of your data.

5. Are there any tools or software that can help with changing coordinates?

Yes, there are various tools and software available that can help with changing coordinates, such as GPS devices, mapping software, and online coordinate converters. It is important to choose a reliable and accurate tool for your specific needs.