Am I doing this problem correctly?

• Thread starter bcjochim07
  • Start date
In summary, an ice cube weighing 50 g can slide without friction up and down a 30 degree slope. When pressed against a spring with a spring constant of 25 N/m, the ice cube compresses the spring by 10 cm. Upon release, the ice cube will travel a total distance of 37.9 cm up the slope before reversing direction. If the ice cube is replaced with a 50 g plastic cube with a coefficient of kinetic friction of 0.20, the plastic cube will travel a total distance of 37.9 cm up the slope. This is found by calculating the force of kinetic friction, using the change in thermal energy equation, and applying the conservation of energy equation.
bcjochim07

Homework Statement

a) A 50 g ice cube can slide without friction up and down a 30 degree slope. The ice cube is pressed against a spring at the bottom of the slope, compressing the spring 10 cm. The spring constant is 25 N/m. When the ice cube is released, what total distance will it travel up the slope before reversing direction?

b) The ice cube is replaced by a 50 g plastic cube whose coefficient of kinetic friction is 0.20. How far will the plastic cube travel up the slope?

Homework Equations

Us=.5kx^2
U=mgy
change in thermal energy= (force of kinetic friction)*(displacement)

The Attempt at a Solution

I got part a, and I want to make sure I am doing part b correctly.

Here's what I did.

Fk= mgcostheta * coefficient of friction
Fk= (.05kg)(9.80)(cos30)(.20)=.085 N

change in thermal energy= Fk* distance covered up slope (d)
change in thermal energy = .085 * d

I called y the final height so y=dsin30

Kf + Uf + change in thermal energy = Ki + Ui

(.05kg)(9.80)(dsin30) + (.085d) = (.5)(25 N/m)(.1m)^2
d= .379 m = 37.9 cm

Physics news on Phys.org
Looks good.

Your solution for part b is correct. You correctly used the equation for kinetic friction and the conservation of energy principle to solve for the distance traveled by the plastic cube up the slope. Good job!

Related to Am I doing this problem correctly?

1. What steps should I take to solve this problem?

The first step in solving any problem is to carefully read and understand the question. Then, identify what information is given and what you are being asked to find. From there, determine what formulas or equations you will need to use and follow the appropriate steps to solve the problem.

2. How do I know if my answer is correct?

To check if your answer is correct, you can plug it back into the original problem and see if it satisfies all of the given conditions. Additionally, you can use a calculator or online tool to verify your calculations. If your answer matches the expected result, it is likely correct.

3. Should I show all of my work when solving a problem?

Yes, it is always best to show your work when solving a problem. This not only helps you keep track of your thought process and avoid mistakes, but it also allows others to follow your steps and understand how you arrived at your answer.

4. What should I do if I am stuck on a problem?

If you are stuck on a problem, take a step back and review the information given. You can also try breaking the problem down into smaller, more manageable parts. If you are still having trouble, don't be afraid to ask for help from a teacher, tutor, or classmate.

5. Are there any common mistakes I should watch out for when solving problems?

Yes, some common mistakes when solving problems include using the wrong formula or equation, not properly converting units, and making calculation errors. It is important to double-check your work and be aware of these common mistakes to avoid them.

Back