Am I Measuring the Current and Voltage Correctly in this Circuit?

In summary, the conversation discusses setting up a circuit with capacitors in parallel and series and measuring the current and voltage. It is unclear if the current should be measured before the capacitors are fully charged or if the goal is to find the charge. The discussion also mentions the limitations of using a typical meter and the possibility of needing other means for accurate measurements. The circuit is for an online exercise and does not involve any resistors.
ft92

Homework Statement

Wire up a circuit with C3 in parallel with C1 and C2 in series. You will need to measure the current arriving at the capacitors (before they are fully charged) and the voltage across capacitor C2.

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not sure if I'm measuring the current before the capacitors are fully charged. Can anyone help me?
thanks

Attachments

• IMG_1089.JPG
    IMG_1089.JPG
    14.5 KB · Views: 406
Physics news on Phys.org
What are the component values? No resistors in the circuit? The capacitors will be charged instantly then.Are you sure you are asked to find the current and not the charge?

no, there are no resistor. that are all the instructions I have.

ft92 said:
Then I think you are asked to find the charge arriving on each capacitor. This is a dc circuit containing capacitors. Since there is no resistance involved, all the capacitors will be charged instantly,hence the current will cease instantly. You can find the charge in terms of C1, C2, C3 and voltage V.

ft92 said:
Is this in preparation for an actual experiment using wires, etc., or is this for a computer simulation, or is it some sort of thought exercise?

The typical meter is very limited in what it can reveal about a fast-changing current or voltage, other means may be needed.

ft92 said:

Is the page of text to the left of your sketch circuit related to the question? Perhaps you could post that?

Does your current meter have a "peak hold" feature?

thank you everybody but my draw was correct eventually :) It was just an online exercise where I had to drag and drop the capacitors and voltmeter in the right place.

Likes NascentOxygen

Related to Am I Measuring the Current and Voltage Correctly in this Circuit?

What is a capacitor?

A capacitor is an electronic component that stores electrical energy in an electric field. It is made of two conductive plates separated by an insulating material, known as a dielectric.

How does a capacitor work in a circuit?

In a circuit, a capacitor acts as a temporary energy storage device. When a voltage is applied to the capacitor, it charges up, and when the voltage is removed, it discharges. This allows the capacitor to store energy and release it when needed.

What is the role of a capacitor in an AC circuit?

In an AC circuit, a capacitor can act as a filter, blocking the flow of direct current (DC) while allowing alternating current (AC) to pass. It can also be used to control the phase relationship between voltage and current in the circuit.

Can capacitors store an unlimited amount of energy?

No, capacitors have a limited capacity for storing energy. The maximum amount of energy that a capacitor can store is determined by its capacitance, which is measured in farads (F).

What are some common applications of capacitors?

Capacitors have many uses in electronic circuits, including power supply filtering, noise reduction, and timing circuits. They are also commonly used in audio equipment, motors, and electronic devices such as cameras and flashlights.