Am I missing something with exponential Fourier series?

In summary, a student in a signal processing class is struggling with complex numbers and is seeking help with a question about an exponential Fourier series. They find the questions time-consuming and are wondering if there is a quicker method to solve them. They currently rewrite everything in trigonometric form, but they are unsure about the steps and symbols used in the example. They are asking for assistance and have also mentioned forgetting to attach the picture of the question.
slashrulez
Hi, I'm in a signal processing class, and I'm having some trouble with complex numbers. As an example, I've attached a pretty simple question about an exponential Fourier series.

I don't find these questions particularly hard, it just takes me ridiculously long to do them. I mean, after I take the integral, it literally took me 10 minutes to actually figure out how to get the general expression for different n values and whatnot. It just seems like it should be much easier, so I'm wondering if there's some kind of shortcut I'm missing.

My current method is pretty slow, and I just rewrite everything in trigonometric form and work from there. I can't think of any other way to do it, but it takes an awful long time. When I look at the work in that example, I don't really know what's going on. I don't know how they go to from the integral to that expression in one step, and I don't even know what the symbol attached to the npi/2 is.

Can anyone help me out? Thanks.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Whoops, it looks like I forgot to attach the picture

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 440

FAQ: Am I missing something with exponential Fourier series?

What is an exponential Fourier series?

An exponential Fourier series is a mathematical representation of a periodic function using a combination of complex exponential functions. It is used to decompose a periodic signal into its individual frequency components.

Why is an exponential Fourier series useful?

An exponential Fourier series is useful because it allows us to represent a periodic function in terms of its frequency components, making it easier to analyze and manipulate. It is also used in various applications such as signal processing, telecommunications, and image processing.

How is an exponential Fourier series different from a regular Fourier series?

The main difference between an exponential Fourier series and a regular Fourier series is the type of function used to represent the periodic signal. An exponential Fourier series uses complex exponential functions, while a regular Fourier series uses sinusoidal functions. This makes the exponential Fourier series more suitable for representing signals with both real and imaginary components.

What is the relationship between an exponential Fourier series and the Fourier transform?

An exponential Fourier series is a discrete version of the Fourier transform. It is used to represent a periodic signal with a finite number of frequency components, while the Fourier transform is used for signals that are not necessarily periodic and have an infinite number of frequency components.

How do I know if I am missing something in my exponential Fourier series?

If you are working with a periodic signal and using an exponential Fourier series to represent it, you can check if you are missing anything by comparing the original signal to the reconstructed signal using the exponential Fourier series. If there are significant differences between the two, it is possible that you are missing some frequency components in your series.