Am I right, what's your opinion? trigonometry

In summary, the conversation is discussing the calculation of angle B in a given triangle with sides a=4, b=1, and C=120 degrees. The correct answer is found using the cosine rule to get c=sqrt(21), and then the sine law to get B=10.89 degrees. There is a discrepancy between the given answer of 10.90 degrees and the calculated answer of 10.98 degrees.
1MileCrash
a=4, b=1, C=120*

do you agree, that if you do not round until the final amswer, that angle B = 10.90? rounded to the nearest hundredth?

correct answer given is 10.92...

Mathematics news on Phys.org
The cosine rule gives c = sqrt(21).

Sin b = b sin C / c = sqrt(3)/(2 sqrt(21)
= 1 / (2 sqrt(7))

B = 10.8933946491309056054825252598699 according to my calculator.

So you are both wrong :smile:

Thats what i get too, actually. I just remembered it being 89 and wrote 90 out of memory.

I think the difference is that i used the square root of 21 throughout all calculations rather than 4.38 or whatever it roughly is.

I don't get either of those! I get B= 10.98 degrees.

I assume that you have a triangle in standard notation- a is the side opposite angle A, etc. Since C is the angle between sides a and b, we must first use the "cosine law": [itex]c^2= a^2+ b^2- 2abCos C[/itex]
[itex]c^2= 4^2+ 1^2- 2(4)(1)(-0.5)= 16+ 1+ 4= 21[/itex]
[itex]c= \sqrt{21}= 4.5826[/itex]

Then, by the sine law,
[tex]\frac{sin(B)}{b}= \frac{sin(C)}{c}[/tex]
[tex]\frac{sin(B)}{1}= \frac{sin(120)}{4.5826}= \frac{.8660}{4.5826}= 0.18897[/tex]
so that [tex]B= 10.89.

(Oops, a little late!)

I cannot provide an opinion on a mathematical statement. However, based on the given information, it appears that the correct answer is 10.92 when rounded to the nearest hundredth. It is important to be precise in mathematical calculations, so rounding should only be done at the final answer to avoid errors.

FAQ: Am I right, what's your opinion? trigonometry

1. What is trigonometry?

Trigonometry is a branch of mathematics that focuses on the relationships between the sides and angles of triangles. It is used to solve problems involving right triangles and can also be applied to other shapes and objects.

2. Why is trigonometry important?

Trigonometry is important because it has numerous real-world applications, such as in engineering, navigation, and astronomy. It also serves as the foundation for more advanced mathematical concepts.

3. How is trigonometry used in everyday life?

Trigonometry can be used in everyday life for tasks such as measuring heights and distances, calculating angles, and solving problems involving triangles. It is also used in fields such as architecture, construction, and surveying.

4. Do I need to know trigonometry to be successful in other fields of science?

Trigonometry is a fundamental concept in mathematics and is often used in other fields of science, such as physics and engineering. While it may not be necessary for every field, having a strong understanding of trigonometry can be beneficial for problem-solving and critical thinking skills.

5. How can I improve my understanding of trigonometry?

The best way to improve your understanding of trigonometry is to practice solving problems and familiarize yourself with the different formulas and concepts. You can also seek help from a teacher or tutor, and there are many online resources available for additional practice and review.

Back