Amazed by the Sight: One Fan, Two Colors

• Thread starter ashishsinghal
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Fan
In summary: Some artifical light sources, like flourescent bulbs, cylce in brightness and color, causing colors to been seen in fast moving objects.
ashishsinghal
Right now (1600 IST, 3 march) I am sitting on my chair. When I look at the fan at a specific angle (about 75 deg) I can see a blue colour at one edge of the wings and yellow colour at the opposite edge of the same wing.

In my room there is one source of natural light and one white artificial light(on adjacent wall). This wing is pointing towards the corner which is common to both the walls.

The edge towards artificial light is blue and the one towards natural light is yellow. Also I must mention it is early in the evening and artificial light is stronger than natural one.

Can anyone please answer why is this happening? I am quite amazed by the sight.

Physics news on Phys.org
I would guess small particles on the edge of the wing are scattering the blue light. Higher frequency light has an exponential chance to scatter.

If you're wearing glasses and looking at the fan at an angle, it could be chromatic aberration due to the refraction through the glass. I get that often when I wear glasses ... yellow on one side and blue on the other. It should be exaggerated when you increase the angle and reduced when you look at it straight on.

How fast is your fan spinning? It could be red/blue shift.

</joke>

davinstewart said:
If you're wearing glasses and looking at the fan at an angle, it could be chromatic aberration due to the refraction through the glass. I get that often when I wear glasses ... yellow on one side and blue on the other. It should be exaggerated when you increase the angle and reduced when you look at it straight on.

Yeah I wear glasses, and your point seems correct but can you just explain in more "simple" words other than chromatic aberration. Thanks

ashishsinghal said:
Yeah I wear glasses, and your point seems correct but can you just explain in more "simple" words other than chromatic aberration. Thanks

It looks like we have a winner! Good call, Davinstewart (and welcome to Physics Forums). Chromatic aberration is based on the property of light that says that different colors bend different amounts when they go through the same lens. So, white light can be separated into different colors.

[PLAIN]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/4/47/Lens6a.svg

Last edited by a moderator:
What does it have to do with the edge of the fan? Why is a specific side yellow and the other blue? And why yellow?

Good questions. The colors you're seeing are blue and yellow because they have the highest and lowest wavelengths (respectively) in the particular "white" ambient light of your surroundings.

As for blue being more dominant on the top and yellow being more dominant on the bottom, I suspect that's because your lenses are not symmetrical (unlike the lens I showed as an example). Essentially, your glasses are acting as a prism.

Archosaur said:
As for blue being more dominant on the top and yellow being more dominant on the bottom,

They were not of the case top and bottom. They were at the same horizontal level. The one towards artificial light was blue and the one away was yellow.

Also, I am talking about white light, so shouldn't the lights be blue and red?

Note that a spinning black and white disk can create the illusion of color, but not sure if that is related to the fan.

http://www.exploratorium.edu/snacks/benhams_disk/index.html

Some artifical light sources, like flourescent bulbs, cylce in brightness and color, causing colors to been seen in fast moving objects.

Related to Amazed by the Sight: One Fan, Two Colors

1. What is "Amazed by the Sight: One Fan, Two Colors" about?

"Amazed by the Sight: One Fan, Two Colors" is a scientific study that explores the phenomenon of fan loyalty and how it affects perception and enjoyment of sports events. The study specifically looks at the impact of team colors on fans' experience of a game.

2. What methods were used in this study?

This study utilized a combination of surveys and experiments to gather data. Surveys were used to gather information about participants' fan loyalty and their perception of the game. Experiments were conducted to measure physiological responses to different team colors.

3. What were the main findings of this study?

The study found that fan loyalty has a significant impact on how individuals perceive and enjoy a sports event. Additionally, the color of a team's uniform can influence fans' physiological responses and level of enjoyment. Fans who identified strongly with a team showed increased physiological arousal when their team was wearing their preferred color.

4. How can these findings be applied in real life?

These findings have practical applications for sports teams and organizations. By understanding the impact of team colors on fan loyalty and enjoyment, teams can strategically use their colors to create a more engaging and enjoyable experience for their fans. This can also have implications for marketing and branding strategies.

5. What are the implications of this study for future research?

This study opens up avenues for further research on the relationship between fan loyalty, team colors, and perception of sports events. Future studies could explore the impact of other factors, such as team success and individual differences, on fan experience. Additionally, research could be conducted in different cultural contexts to see if the findings hold true across different populations.

Back