Amount of CaO required to removed HCO3- from 1 kg of hard water

• Thread starter Quantum Mind
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Hard Water
In summary, the conversation discusses the minimum mass of CaO required to completely remove HCO3- ions from a 1 kg water sample containing 305 ppm of the ions. After some calculations, it is determined that 140 mg of CaO is needed for this process. The correct equation to use is CaO + 2HCO3- = CaCO3 + CO3-- + H2O.
Quantum Mind

Homework Statement

A sample of hard water contains 305 ppm of HCO3- ions. What is the minimum mass of CaO required to remove HCO3- completely from 1 kg of water sample?

Homework Equations

Ca 2+ + 2HCO3 + CaO = 2CaCO3 + H2O

The Attempt at a Solution

Since the HCO3- ions are 305 parts per million, it can be assumed that there are 0.305 g of the ions in 1 kg (or 1 L as the density is 1) of water. (I don't know if this assumption is correct)

If I use the equation as above, then I get 0.1525 g of CaO which is not correct.

I think that the whole trouble is with the ppm part. Can someone give me a clue?

Physics news on Phys.org
Equation is incorrect - you are assuming there is some other source of Ca2+ to be present as well, while the only source of calcium is CaO.

Sorry for the delayed response.

Ca 2+ should not have been there, my mistake. The equation is

CaO + 2HCO3- = CaCO3 + CO3-- + H2O

Now one mole of CaO reacts with two moles of HCO3. This means that for half a mole of CaO, there ought to be one mole of HCO3.

1 mole of HCO3 = 61 g and 1 mole of CaO is 56 g. In this case it would be 28 g of CaO.

Therefore, 28/61 x .305 gives 0.140 g or 140 mg.

Got it, thanks.

FAQ: Amount of CaO required to removed HCO3- from 1 kg of hard water

1. How is the amount of CaO required to remove HCO3- from 1 kg of hard water determined?

The amount of CaO required to remove HCO3- from 1 kg of hard water is determined by the concentration of HCO3- in the water and the chemical reaction between HCO3- and CaO. By using stoichiometry, the molar ratio between HCO3- and CaO can be determined, which then allows for the calculation of the amount of CaO needed to remove the HCO3- ions.

2. Can the amount of CaO required vary depending on the source of hard water?

Yes, the amount of CaO required to remove HCO3- from 1 kg of hard water can vary depending on the source of the water. Different sources may have varying concentrations of HCO3- and other minerals, which can affect the amount of CaO needed for removal.

3. Is there a specific ratio of CaO to HCO3- that is needed for effective removal?

Yes, there is a specific ratio of CaO to HCO3- that is needed for effective removal. This ratio is determined by the chemical reaction between the two compounds and can vary depending on the concentration of HCO3- in the water.

4. Can the amount of CaO required change over time in a water source?

Yes, the amount of CaO required to remove HCO3- from 1 kg of hard water can change over time in a water source. This is due to factors such as changes in the concentration of HCO3- or the introduction of other minerals into the water source.

5. Are there any potential side effects of using CaO to remove HCO3- from hard water?

Yes, there can be potential side effects of using CaO to remove HCO3- from hard water. CaO is a strong base and can increase the pH of the water, which can have negative effects on plants and aquatic life. Additionally, excess CaO can lead to the formation of calcium deposits in pipes and appliances.

Back