Ampere's law, Biot-Savart law and E-field questions

It is important to have a clear understanding of the theoretical concepts before attempting the calculus involved. Good luck on your exam next week! In summary, Gauss's law is used for symmetrical surfaces with a constant E-field, while Ampere's law is used for constant B-field direction. Biot-Savart law is used for non-wire currents, and understanding the theory is important for success in the subject.
gambit1414
Hi,
1. Generally when using Gauss's law to e-field, I'm aware that the the surface you chose must be symmetrical and E-field is constant therefore you would only use Gauss's law for infinite sheets of charge, spherical distribution of charge and infinite line charge am i right?

2. Regarding ampere's law, I'm aware that we use this when the B-field is constant does this only the direction is not changing? (eg. for a circular loop it will always point in the (phi) direction). A follow up on this question, for a square loop how does the b-field look like.

3. Lastly, we would use biot-savart law over amperes law in any case we aren't dealing with a current carrying wire, am i right?

I have an exam next week on this stuff, and i just want to make sure i have the theory right because that's what I'm confused about, the calculus bit will easily fall in place once the theory is clear. Thank you for any help.

Physics news on Phys.org
1. Yes, you are correct. Gauss's law can be used to calculate the electric field in situations such as those you mentioned. 2. Yes, Ampere's law is used when the magnetic field is constant in direction. For a square loop, the B-field points in the same direction around the loop; this direction is perpendicular to the plane of the loop, and the magnitude of the B-field is proportional to the net current through the loop.3. Yes, Biot-Savart law is used when we are dealing with currents that are not in the form of a wire.

Related to Ampere's law, Biot-Savart law and E-field questions

1. What is Ampere's law and how is it used?

Ampere's law is a fundamental law in electromagnetism that describes the relationship between the magnetic field and the current flowing through a closed loop. It states that the magnetic field around a closed loop is directly proportional to the current passing through the loop. This law is used to calculate the magnetic field in situations where there is symmetry, such as in a long straight wire or a solenoid.

2. What is the Biot-Savart law and how does it differ from Ampere's law?

The Biot-Savart law is another fundamental law in electromagnetism that describes the relationship between a current-carrying wire and the magnetic field it produces. It states that the magnetic field at a point due to a small section of current-carrying wire is directly proportional to the current, length of the wire, and the distance from the point to the wire. Unlike Ampere's law, the Biot-Savart law is used to calculate the magnetic field in situations where there is no symmetry, such as in a current-carrying loop.

3. How can I use the Biot-Savart law to calculate the magnetic field of a current-carrying wire?

To calculate the magnetic field at a point due to a current-carrying wire, you can use the Biot-Savart law. First, determine the direction of current flow in the wire. Then, calculate the distance from the point to the wire. Next, determine the magnitude and direction of the current in the wire. Finally, use the Biot-Savart law formula to calculate the magnetic field at the point.

4. How can I calculate the electric field due to a point charge using Coulomb's law?

Coulomb's law describes the relationship between the electric force, charge, and distance between two point charges. To calculate the electric field at a point due to a point charge, you can use Coulomb's law. First, determine the magnitude and sign of the charges involved. Then, calculate the distance between the two charges. Finally, use the Coulomb's law formula to calculate the electric field at the point.

5. What is the relationship between electric field and magnetic field?

The electric field and magnetic field are two fundamental properties of electromagnetic fields. They are closely related, as a changing electric field can produce a magnetic field, and a changing magnetic field can produce an electric field. This relationship is described by Maxwell's equations, which unify the laws of electricity and magnetism.

Back